[Gnso-epdp-team] REVISED: Question for legal advisors

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Jul 30 14:21:50 UTC 2019

Mark's framing of the question is more reasonable, but I still don't see how accreditation per se bears on the balancing test. Maybe I'm just dense. Accreditation as I understand it means that the requestor is contractually obligated to a code of conduct. This means that a penalty can be imposed if disclosures are abused but it still doesn't tell you whether, in any specific instance, the requestor's legitimate interest outweighs (or does not outweigh) the privacy interest of the data subject.

To resolve these questions it might be helpful for us, in discussing use cases, to run some trial/hypothetical balancing tests and find a couple of instances in which a request does and does not pass it.

e.g. imagine a routine TM infringement case in which a domain confusingly similar to a TM appears to be a typo-squatting site selling ads. Request for registrant identity and contact info seems to me to pass the balancing test.

Now imagine a case in which someone is curious about who is behind an organization's domain but the organization is a woman's shelter and there is a fear that disclosing contact info and names might facilitate abuse. Balancing tet failed, imho.

In both cases I don't see how accreditation per se has any bearing on the outcome of the balancing test.