[Gnso-epdp-team] [Ext] RE: For your review - Phase 2 Draft Approach

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Mon May 13 21:41:10 UTC 2019

Thank you to Caitlin, Berry, and Marika for compiling this draft approach. We appreciate your effort, and we generally agree with this proposed approach, with specific comments below:
As the IPC has suggested, we should set as one of our top, near-term priorities to address the legal status and legal liability of all parties involved in controlling and processing registration data, including ICANN, contracted parties, and (as all will be encouraged to hear) third parties who access registration data. Aiming for this clarity is a better objective for the EPDP team than “legal certainty” or “alleviat[ing] the legal liability” of any party, neither of which would be possible. So, we’re on board – let’s just be clear about the realistic outcome we’re aiming for.

We’ve refrained from engaging in the access vs. disclosure discussion because as long as the eventual model supports unified/standardized access, we frankly don’t care what it’s called. Our thoughts on this matter are as follows: We’re mindful that the word disclosure seems to imply a focus on the party doing the disclosing, and that Phase 1, Recommendation 18 used “disclosure” to define the request-and-contracted-party-review style of ‘data obtaining’ (to generalize the concept) contemplated by the Temporary Specification. This was great collaborative work by the EPDP team, and we’re encouraged by it. Now that it’s finished, we’re eager to move on to creating the discloser-agnostic unified/standardized access model in Phase 2. So it seems to make more sense to focus on establishing the parameters within which someone with a lawful basis may expect unified/standardized access when they have such lawful basis, from whatever the source. Accordingly, we have a slight preference for “access” as it more accurately describes our Phase 2 work objective, but we’re probably nomenclature-agnostic if the EPDP team agrees with the goal of unified/standardized access.

We reiterate our support for two work streams as we have much to cover, and the EPDP team has committed to work diligently toward successful resolution of Phase 2.

We agree with Volker and Hadia that the more accurate description of the data is “non-public registration data,” which encompasses both personal information and non-personal information.

Brian J. King
Director of Internet Policy & Industry Affairs
MarkMonitor / Part of Clarivate Analytics