[Gnso-epdp-team] [Ext] RE: For your review - Phase 2 Draft Approach

Anderson, Marc mcanderson at verisign.com
Tue May 14 19:03:15 UTC 2019

Thank you Janis and the leadership team for providing this draft approach for phase 2.  I think this is an excellent start.  I have some thoughts/feedback to share after giving this a review.

*       The objective (first bullet slide 2) is more accurately to develop and agree on “policy recommendations”… rather than “rules and requirements”.  This might be semantics and our policy  recommendations may get specific as to the rules and requirements needed, but I think it’s an important distinction to make.

*       I’m not convinced that the proposed worksheets would be useful.  To me they seem similar in nature to the discussion summary indexes from phase 1 (https://community.icann.org/display/EOTSFGRD/c.+Temporary+Specification+Discussion+Summary+Indexes).  Staff worked hard to create them early in phase 1 but we never really used or leveraged them for our subsequent work.  I’m curious what other’s thoughts are.

*       At the start of our phase 2 work we should be in information gathering mode.  A few things come to mind that we should consider.

   *    At the start of phase 1 we asked for early input from SOs and ACs.  I thought this was beneficial in informing our early work and I suggest we consider if something similar could be done for phase 2.
   *    Is there any training or education that working group members should receive?  Early in phase 1 it was arranged for working group members to take an online GDPR class.  I don’t have anything specific in mind, but its worth asking the question if there is something similar that working group members would benefit from for phase 2.
   *    Briefings from experts – We had an opportunity to hear from Becky Burr and ask her questions as a privacy officer and ICANN board member in a session that I think was very well received.  Are there experts we could hear from for phase 2?  We’ve discussed previously asking for a briefing from the RPM working group and the Privacy/Proxy IRT.  Now might be the time to try and schedule those.

*       Requests to ICANN org – in our phase 1 report we had a couple of asks of ICANN org.  Some of these were intended to provide additional information to inform our phase 2 deliberations.  We should follow up on those phase 1 asks and also consider if there are other asks of ICANN org relevant to phase 2.

*       At the ICANN Barcelona meeting there was a high interest panel session on the phase 1 ePDP.  Kurt facilitated the sessions with working group members serving as panelists.  For many in the ICANN community this was the first opportunity to get detailed information about how the ePDP was going.  The session was well attended and we received a lot of positive feedback.  Looking at the schedule, the timing of ICANN 66 might be good to provide a similar update to the community on phase 2.

I look forward to hearing from others and discussing on our 16 May call.

Best,

Marc