[Gnso-epdp-team] schedule problem: Legal vs. Natural issue
karklinsj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 21:49:11 UTC 2019
Thank you for your mail and question.
During the ICANN66 part of the last session on Thursday will be devoted to
discuss a way forward until the end-Jan f2f meeting and ICANN67.
Currently we are working towards objective of submitting the initial report
for public comments by early December. After that we will take up all
Priority 2 issues aiming at submitting recommendations together with the
If for any reason we will not meet objective of early December, we will
start addressing P2 issues in a run-up to and at the end-Jan f2f meeting. In
that case objective will be to publish initial report containing also
recommendations on P2 issues.
Hope such approach will find support of the Team.
From: Gnso-epdp-team [mailto:gnso-epdp-team-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2019 1:45 AM
To: gnso-epdp-team at icann.org
Subject: [Gnso-epdp-team] schedule problem: Legal vs. Natural issue
The Phase 1 report said:
"EPDP Team Recommendation #17.
1) The EPDP Team recommends that Registrars and Registry Operators are
permitted to differentiate between registrations of legal and natural
persons, but are not obligated to do so.
2) The EPDP Team recommends that as soon as possible ICANN Org undertakes a
study, for which the terms of reference are developed in consultation with
the community, that considers:
* The feasibility and costs including both implementation and potential
liability costs of differentiating between legal and natural persons;
* Examples of industries or other organizations that have successfully
differentiated between legal and natural persons;
* Privacy risks to registered name holders of differentiating between legal
and natural persons; and
* Other potential risks (if any) to registrars and registries of not
3) The EPDP Team will determine and resolve the Legal vs. Natural issue in
The homework above looks like a pre-requisite for completing the charter and
delivering the Final Report, but AFAIK it is not underway. How are we going
to solve this dilemma?
I note that some guidance about the above is contained in the Bird & Bird
"legal versus natural" memo delivered at the end of Phase 1.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnso-epdp-team