[Gnso-epdp-team] [EXTERNAL] Re: Regarding Urgent Priority requests by non-LEA

Caitlin Tubergen caitlin.tubergen at icann.org
Wed Apr 29 18:18:04 UTC 2020

Thanks to Volker and Mark for continuing this discussion in preparation for tomorrow’s EPDP Team meeting. To provide some further context, Volker and Mark have been working with the staff support team on revised language for recommendation #9 (SLAs) which also deals with ‘Urgent’ requests. Note that work on that recommendation is still ongoing – as such, the staff support team has stricken out the reference in the recommendation #8 discussion issues document (see attached) as no language has been agreed yet, and the proposed compromise referenced was not accepted. To focus this discussion, it may be helpful to remind everyone of a few points:

Only accredited entities can make requests;
The Central Gateway is required to inform requestors of the requirements for making an urgent request as well as the potential consequences (de-accreditation) of making urgent requests that do not meet the requirements;
Per recommendation #9, Contracted Parties may recategorize a request if they are of the view that the request does not meet the requirements. Any recategorization is communicated to the Central Gateway Manager and Requestor;
SLAs, including those for urgent requests are set as targets until the first review (at the latest after 6 months) at which point there will be further information on the actual use of this priority setting;
The definition included is specific about the limited circumstances in which it can be applied (imminent threat to life, serious bodily injury, critical infrastructure (online and offline) or child exploitation.

Suggestion: is it worth focusing on developing a set of examples for each of these limited circumstances that will provide a better idea on the types of requests that would meet these criteria, instead of focusing on who is able to make this request? As noted above, CPs will be in a position to reclassify requests if the criteria are not met and further review will take place based on actual experience within 6 months of operationalization of SSAD.

If so, Mark SV provided a first set of examples:
a large banking establishment or school district under ransomware attack
a nation state actor targeting multiple human rights organizations with persistent spear phishing attacks
a nation state actor using a malicious domain to compromise and steal information from members of the United Nations
a nation state actor purchasing large swaths of domains to target multiple organizations in the oil and gas industry, then using them in a large-scale intrusion campaign

Are there additional examples, or are there concerns about these examples?

Best regards,

Marika, Berry, and Caitlin