[Gnso-epdp-team] For your review - proposal for an SSAD Hybrid able to evolve to a Centralized and Automated Model + agenda for Thursday's meeting

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 22 02:09:40 UTC 2020

Thank you for the updated (Chameleon) SSAD Model. It is a great improvement.

That being said, I have three comments:

1. We use the term "Authorization Provider" (Auth-P) in our core work, but it is absent here. It is important that we stick to consistent terminology and use the terms we define, further elaborating that the Auth-P could be a CP or a component of the SSAD itself.

2. I went to some length to describe how it may be possible to seed the SSAD with request prototypes for which there is agreement that they can be handled in an automated fashion. I understand that it is quite possible that we might not find any such cases to which CPs feel comfortable, but if we do not try, it will certainly not happen. And if we do not document the process in our report, it will never happen.

3. The first bullet point on page 1 talks about "shifting liability". I have long believed that we could make a strong case for ICANN being the sole controller since ICANN sets the rules under which registrant data is handled (this EPDP). I accept that not many agree with me. However, there is far more support for ICANN and CP being joint controllers. To borrow a line from the NCSG, after nearly 18 months of grueling work on behalf of this EPDP and ICANN Org, we still have not determined what the controller relationship is nor have we seemingly even attempted to draft a joint controller agreement. Such an agreement might well ASSIGN some responsibility and therefore liability to ICANN and there would be no need to "shift" liability (which we have repeatedly been told is not likely to happen). To glibly just talk about "shifting liability" does not do this important subject justice.

Alan