[Gnso-epdp-team] The final stretch

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Tue Jun 30 01:30:38 UTC 2020

Hi Team,

In the final stretch this week, I would like to share some perspective on our primary need in the Mechanism for Evolution. Primarily, we need a way to ensure that we have as close to the centralized model as possible, as quickly as possible, but ONLY with legal clarity that such a model is possible without Contracted Party liability for disclosure decisions made centrally.

When we shifted to working on the decentralized model, we respected reasonable differences of opinion as to the likelihood that this legal clarity will ever come. We were more optimistic than some others, and I've been accused of wearing rose-colored glasses, but we respected that difference of opinion. Counting on that same respect in return, it seems there are some areas where we have reasonable differences of opinion, and on which future legal clarity could inform SSAD evolution. Besides centralization, the other primary opportunity for evolution based on hopefully-forthcoming legal advice is automation of more use cases, again only if legally possible without CP liability.

As to the “policy” question, it’s worth mentioning how uncommon it is for a party to a contract to agree that a counterparty may modify the contract unilaterally, and because this open-endedness is necessary for ICANN to enforce consensus policies, the assurance provided to CPs is that the only way CP obligations or liabilities can be added without renegotiating the contract is via the defined policy development process. Policy development is needed for matters that add or change CP contractual obligations or liabilities. By crafting our policy as essentially “CPs must automate requests that do not carry risk of liability to the CP,” we rather wisely address both the obligation and liability. The obligation is to respond to automated queries, and the liability matter is addressed by limiting the obligation to cases where there is shown to be no liability.

Framing the policy this way also wisely addresses CP obligations and liabilities in a way that respects our differences of opinions as to the likelihood that more (or fewer!) fact patterns may come to be understood not to result in liability to the CP. By “baking these into” the obligation, we can enable a swift move to automation and centralization of requests which relieves CPs of the manual processing burden, and selfishly ensures we don’t need to drag ourselves through this time and time again as the legal landscape changes. It will surely change in coming months and years.

That said, the IPC is sympathetic to CPs’ need to ensure that future cases to be automated or centralized do in fact carry meet the required threshold for legal clarity. We have built in an exemption for jurisdictional requirements where it might be needed, and we are open minded as to ways we can ensure that this legal clarity threshold is met: perhaps ICANN must publish its legal citations and its intent to automate more use cases and take public comment; perhaps the Mechanism for Evolution group must have GNSO-style consensus thresholds on future automation/centralization cases; perhaps both of the foregoing and only on the first full moon after the vernal equinox – let’s discuss what’s needed. However it works, we must give ourselves credit for the adroit policy work we’ve done here, and we must not drag ourselves through a PDP where it’s neither necessary nor appropriate to do so.

I look forward to working together to come to consensus ASAP.

Brian J. King​
Director of Internet Policy and Industry Affairs, IP Group

T +1 443 761 3726​
clarivate.com​