[Gnso-epdp-team] Purpose 2

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Thu Mar 5 15:21:38 UTC 2020

> We support Brian’s proposed Purpose 2 below, and note that without it
> – there are many gaps, including:
>
>   * Operationalizing and implementing new policies and contract
>     provisions (RDAP, transfers, TM Clearinghouse, etc.)

Can be done with and without the actual data.

>   * Conducting research using the contacts

Research is broad. what does this mean? does the proposed research meet
a balancing test?

>   * Coordinating cyber-attack responses such as Conficker & other
>     cyber attacks

Not really something ICVANN itself does, it it?

>   * Publishing Accuracy Reporting System (ARS) reports

They can continue to publish these reports. Not much is going to be in
them though. But as  I said on the call, just because it was possible to
do, it may not necessarily be ok (or strictly necessary).

>   * Conducting testing of new registrar/registries to ensure that the
>     WHOIS systems work in the manner required by the contract

Does ICANN actually do that? But even if they did, they can now test
RDAP responses if they work in the manner required in the temp spec and
later of the SSAD.

>   * Implementing & testing escrow deposits with 3^rd party escrow
>     providers

That is actually done by the escrow providers, who then just report to
ICANN. It is not curently impacted but I agree that Escrow should be a
purpose of ICANN.

> All the best,
>
> Margie, Mark & Steve
>
> On behalf of the BC
>
> **
>
> **
>
> *Margie Milam*
>
> IP Enforcement & DNS Policy Lead | Facebook Legal**
>
> NOTICE: This email (including any attachments) may contain information
> that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or
> other privilege.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not
> use, copy, or retransmit the email or its contents.
>
> *From: *Gnso-epdp-team <gnso-epdp-team-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
> "King, Brian via Gnso-epdp-team" <gnso-epdp-team at icann.org>
> *Date: *Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM
> *To: *"gnso-epdp-team at icann.org" <gnso-epdp-team at icann.org>
> *Subject: *[Gnso-epdp-team] Purpose 2
>
> Hi all,
>
> Following last week’s conversation about some EPDP members’ desire to
> have a bit more specificity in Purpose 2 (the irony of which is not
> lost on the IPC 😊), I propose the below:
>
> Contributing to the maintenance of the security, stability, and
> resiliency of the Domain Name System in accordance with ICANN’s
> mission, specifically “maintenance of and access to accurate and
> up-to-date information concerning registered names and name servers.”
> (ICANN Bylaws, Annex G-1; ICANN Bylaws, Annex G-2)
>
> *Brian J. King *
> Director of Internet Policy and Industry Affairs
>
> T +1 443 761 3726_
> markmonitor.com
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.markmonitor.com&d=DwMGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=_4XWSt8rUHZPiRG6CoP4Fnk_CCk4p550lffeMi3E1z8&m=Q65Or6H39_7X6LJk1SN78sszy_Hne8qlISmI8kN7Wh8&s=72C7v9XA12IEQxdYxgz5IDlXPMnrRUz4uW6aDcYmwcU&e=>_
>
> *MarkMonitor
> *Protecting companies and consumers in a digital world

Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager
*KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH*

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.