[Gnso-epdp-team] SSAD as a means of publishing non-personal data

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 22 06:01:12 UTC 2021

There continues to be discussion regarding using the SSAD as a means
of "publishing" non-personal data.

I believe that this discussion is a distraction that takes focus from
what we should be working on. I say this for the following reason.

1. The SSAD does not exist, it may never exist, and if the Board does
approve it, it will likely take several years to implement (remember
we are 2 years into the implementation of Phase 1, and there is no
centralized hardware/software to design and implement for that).

2. Although we specified that anyone may be accredited, it is not at
all clear the amount of time it will take, nor what fee might be
charged. And unless the system allows accreditation without
authenticating the identity, this precludes anonymous queries.

3. We specified that the SSAD must be self-funding and that the users
must pay for its operating costs. Are those in favour of using the
SSAD for public data publishing proposing fees for such requests, or
no fees, and if the latter, who will pay for this usage?

4. There are multiple details of Phase 2 Recommendation 8 for
Contracted Party Authorization that simply make no sense in this
case, yet are part of the approved policy. And changing that policy
requires a PDP.

5. There does not seem to be any benefit of routing public-data
requests through the SSAD with its myriad rules, regulations and
processes when a vanilla RDAP server will suffice.

Alan