[Gnso-epdp-team] SSAD as a means of publishing non-personal data

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 22 14:02:50 UTC 2021

At 2021-04-22 09:10 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
>1. SSAD was approved by the PDPD consensus, by the GNSO council with
>sufficient votes and by the board. It will exist. If it does not, we
>will be forced back to the drawing board for another couple of years
>and the status quo will persist. If you prefer that over SSAD, go
>ahead and kill SSAD.

This is not about my trying to kill the SSAD. At this point, the
Board needs to make a decision, and presumably it will not just
blindly rubber-stamp the GNSO recommendations. And iyou are not
addressing proposing a solution that is at best several years out to

>2. This would be questions for the implementation phase, but maybe
>some guidance would be helpful to put people here at ease. I do not
>think there needs to be authentication for basic SSAD access. The
>terms currently in place for domain name registration are fully
>sufficient for that access level: Validation of format of the data,
>verification of email address, valid payment method. This would be
>my personal view.
>
>3. As this access level would require significantly lower barriers
>than full access, fees for this type of requests could be lower as
>well. For comparison, requests for data from the German trade
>register cost medium one-digit EUR amounts per request. The added
>benefit is that this common type of request could carry a base cost
>load for the system, allowing lower overall costs for all requests.
>Only leaving SSAD for personal data would on the other hand drive up
>costs. The more we include in SSAD, the better the price structure should be.

OK, so you are proposing a fee-based system for such requests.

>4. If we do need another PDP (not convinced that we do) this could
>be pre-determined and targeted. If we all agree now that we want
>this to happen, debate the specifics before the PDP is launched, the
>time needed for the actual PDP could be minimal.

Fine. Adding several more years...