[GNSO-EPDPP2-SmallTeam] Call with Eleeza Agopian and Becky Burr - Notes

Sebastien at registry.godaddy Sebastien at registry.godaddy
Fri Jun 3 15:54:25 UTC 2022

Dear SSAD Small Team,

As discussed, I reached out to Eleeza Agopian from ICANN org and Becky Burr, ICANN Board, earlier this week to further to discuss the potential impact of SSAD Light on other projects. Based on that conversation, I would like to share the following:

  *   If/when work on the SSAD Design Light paper would start, work on two projects, namely CZDS and EBERO would pause. As I understand, the work on CZDS and EBERO concerns technical updates that ICANN org committed to make, but it depends on internal resources only and is independent from other work; pausing them will have no other impact than there delay.
  *   While there is resource overlap between the SSAD work and the SubPro ODP, commencing work on the design paper this would not mean a freeze on the SubPro ODP but rather a delay as some staff would have to switch gears to focus on SSAD Light. Other work on the SubPro ODP that would not involve those staff members would continue. I have asked ICANN org if this would mean certain key milestones would be missed as a result, which is a question they will follow up on.
  *   If the Council/small team can agree that the potential impact on other projects, including SubPro, is acceptable, work on the SSAD Light design paper could commence after ICANN74 to allow for delivery of the design paper and discussion by ICANN75.
  *   We also discussed the desire to have regular check-ins and suggested building in check-in points at least at the start and mid-way, to allow for updates and consultation, as necessary.
  *   Becky confirmed that in her view the Board would be ready to authorize this work as long as Council Leadership confirms in writing its understanding that the SSAD Light implies a shift of priorities as described above and further delays the Board’s approval of the remaining EPDP Phase 2 Recommendations (SSAD).
  *   As we have discussed previously, the delivery of the design paper will be a next decision point, both for the Council as well as the ICANN Board. Various scenarios could be considered at that point such as: 1) implement SSAD Light (which would require another conversation around resources / priorities), 2) modify the SSAD policy recommendations to align with SSAD Light or a complete rethink, or 3) a decision not to proceed with SSAD Light or a combination or variation of these and/or other scenarios. However, until we see the design paper it does not seem to make much sense to speculate about these scenarios.
  *   The ICANN GDPR Caucus Board members have been invited to attend the EPDP Phase 2 Small Team meeting at ICANN74 (scheduled on Monday 13 June at 13.15 local time). Seats have also been reserved for Council as well as EPDP Phase 2 members. This is also a topic for the Council meeting on Wednesday 15 June so hopefully at that point we will be in a position to confirm what we would like to communicate to the ICANN Board in relation to proceeding with the SSAD Light design paper and the impact on other projects.

Of course, we will discuss these points further during our meeting at ICANN74, but if in the meantime you have any questions or further input you would like to share, please feel free to do so.

And lastly, Eleeza told me the org is now calling SSAD Light the “WHOIS Disclosure System” so you may hear that term used during our session at ICANN74.

Kindly,

Sebastien Ducos
GoDaddy Registry | Senior Client Services Manager
[signature_2861862165]
+33612284445
France & Australia
sebastien at registry.godaddy<mailto:sebastien at registry.godaddy>