[gnso-gac-closed-generics] "A Public Interest" v. "The Global Public Interest" - Question / Comment on Asynchronous Work #6

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KathyKleiman.com
Fri Jan 20 17:22:50 UTC 2023

Hi Jeff,

I’ll respond to your original message (and note that Philippe and Arnaud
responded as well).

The reason we are talking about The Global Public Interest is because we
have to.The world has changed since 2013 when the GAC wording GAC
Beijing Communique was far-seeing and far-reaching:*“For strings
representing generic terms, exclusive registry access should serve a
public interest goal.
Seehttps://gac.icann.org/advice/communiques/Beijing%20Communique%20april2013_Final-ar.pdf
<https://gac.icann.org/advice/communiques/Beijing%20Communique%20april2013_Final-ar.pdf>*

A lot has happened since then, including ICANN’s Transition from US
Government oversight.As part of the Transition, the Community took on
clear new obligations including “Core Values” of the Bylaws, and Core
Value 1.2(b)(ii), that we work to “ascertain the global public
interest.”https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article1

Board Member Avri Doria, as you know, has been working hard
“Operationalizing the concept of the global public interest (GPI)” that
ICANN is now bound to follow.ICANN continued this important work through
COVID, putting out a paper in 2019, receiving comments, and publishing
an updated version in 2020.I cite from the April 2020 paper for the
quote in the prior
sentence,https://community.icann.org/display/prjxplrpublicint/GPI+Toolkit

Our Asynchronous Work #4, titled *GPI Framework and Closed Generic
TLDs*, is exactly what the Board asked us to do.The wording in our
diagrams seems to be very appropriate. “This framework is anchored in
the Articles and Bylaws,” Avri wrote in the GPI April 2020 paper.

I believe this Core Value was inspired by the GAC in the Beijing Advice
a decade ago.  We now have two public interest guideposts and
ascertaining the Global Public Interest is certainly one of them.

Best,

Kathy