[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Closed Generics Planning and Asynchronous Work

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KathyKleiman.com
Tue May 9 15:47:45 UTC 2023

Hi Melissa,

Tx for your reminder. I want to respond to one of the issues below and
then return to others when I finish grading my students' papers.

Section II - Definitions (Pg.4)

>       o Please respond to the following:
>
>           + */Question/*:  Are definitions a MUST include red line for
>             you?
>           + If not, the issues you’ve raised can be included in an
>             annex to the framework with the understanding that they do
>             not reflect agreement of the group but rather encapsulate
>             discussions and issues raised.

==> Kathy: To be fair, we have not looked at the Definitions in weeks
(months?) and I would request we hold this question until we do.

==> But if not, taking a look at the Definitions section: Yes, of course
we should include the Definitions we decide, including the top one:

  *

    "A “closed generic gTLD”, sometimes described as a “gTLD with
    exclusive registry access”, is understood to be a gTLD representing
    a string that is a generic name or term under which domains are
    registered and usable exclusively by the registry operator or its
    [affiliates]. A closed generic gTLD entails a single registrant
    entity, namely the registry operator and its[affiliates] and others
    as allowed by the registry’s proposal."

==> We spent many hours talking through these terms and definitions,
including "what is a "closed generic gTLD," what does "generic" and
"closed" mean, and "from whose perspective" should these terms be
evaluated. Our work became these Definitions and they are the foundation
of our Framework. That's why we wrote them; every good policy must
define its terms.  Change the definitions and you have changed the
Framework (and if you dramatically change the definitions, you could
change the Framework completely).

==> So yes, our Definitions are part of our Framework, and correctly
positioned close to the top of our Framework to help people navigate the
text below.

Tx for asking!

Best, Kathy