[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Closed Generics Planning and Asynchronous Work

philippe.fouquart at orange.com philippe.fouquart at orange.com
Tue May 9 16:22:21 UTC 2023

Thanks Melissa. Here's my responses.

QUESTIONS NEEDING YOUR  RESPONSE ON MAILING LIST

  1.  Definitions and Policy/Implementation Questions

     *   Section II - Definitions (Pg.4)

        *   Question:  Are definitions a MUST include red line for you?
        *   > no they are not. They're just nice-to-have's in terms of conveying at least some understanding of what the terms meant for the group collectively, as well as potential points of divergence.
        *   If not, the issues you've raised can be included in an annex to the framework with the understanding that they do not reflect agreement of the group but rather encapsulate discussions and issues raised.

     *   Other Policy and Implementation questions (Pg. 10, 13, & 14)

        *   Question: Is including these as an annex to the framework, with the understanding that they do not reflect agreement of this group but rather encapsulate discussions and issues raised, a MUST NOT include red line for you?
        *   > no it's not, I think it's a good idea.

  1.  What is your response to the staff proposed language on the Objective/Subjective issue?

     *   "The evaluation process and criteria must be clear, predictable, and objective to the greatest extent possible. The evaluation must be predictable such that a potential applicant can reasonably assess their likelihood of qualifying for a closed generic gTLD, with the understanding that evaluation panelists will use their professional judgement when evaluating applications. This judgement must be within predictable parameters and well-justified. For example, evaluators should not determine that one public interest goal is worthier than another, nor require that a closed generic gTLD be used in one particular way, so long as the public interest requirements are fulfilled."
> I'm fine with the suggested text.

  1.  Are red lines needing further discussion missing from the outline above? If so, what?

No there aren't (I'm not enthralled at the notion of the process ultimately being "objective to the greatest extent possible", but read this more as guidance to the next stage, not necessarily a depiction of the end-product)

  1.  Do you disagree with allowing narrowly tailored, element specific minority statements as part of an agreed framework?

'Disagree' would be strong, but I'm not very comfortable with the idea: the notion of scoring minority statements wasn't quite in the spirit of the dialogue in the first place imho, which doesn't prevent divergences of views on how the framework translates into policy to be recorded, and left as food for thought for those who will take over.

  1.  After reviewing the calendar and remaining work, do you agree to add a 17 May call at 20:00 UTC?

I do

Regards,
Philippe

Orange Restricted