[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Credible Comment Period

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KathyKleiman.com
Wed May 10 01:58:06 UTC 2023

Hi All,

Since we resume with the Comment Period discussion, I’d like to share
the results of my research. Our GAC members inserted language that “*The
evaluation process must include a credible objection and comment period
phase”. *

To me this means a comment period /that is _part of the Evaluation
Process_- /a comment period that a) lists all Closed Generic
Applications, b) provides information about the criteria for their
evaluation, AND c) gives companies, organizations, groups and
associations time to think and respond.A special comment period for
Closed Generic applications.

Comments are great!They are a cheap, easy, low-barrier way for the world
to provide input to Closed Generic Applications. Plus, we agreed that
_comments will be key to the Evaluators and their Evaluation process;
silence may be misunderstood._

*In 2012, we had the first comment period after Reveal Day and then a
second comment period in 2013 when the Board wanted to learn more about
the concerns with the Closed Generic applications. [1].* It worked very
well to separate these two comment periods. By 2013, articles had been
written, Early Warnings were in, and groups and associations had shared
articles with their members via newsletters and other publications.The
second comment period allowed groups to come together with economic
analysis and to sign comments about Closed Generic applications with
multiple signatories representing a country or region – and that was
very useful for assessing the concerns of business and industry groups.

*To have a credible comment period, I think we need a separate comment
period.*

Some will argue that the comment period created by the SubPro WG –
opening at/near Reveal Day (when all New gTLD applications are shared)
is sufficient, but I don’t think so. This first round of comments is a
very confusing time. There are thousands of applications, some with
confusing language, and everyone is trying//to understand them and share
initial comments.

It's enough time "to flag" broad concerns and let ICANN and others know
there is a general problem, /but/ /not enough time for detailed analysis
and organizing of groups and competitors that a Closed Generics
Evaluation comment would enable./

A credible comment period that lists all Closed Generic Applications
will give companies, ground, and organizations time to consider the
Closed Generic – outside the “scramble period” of Reveal Day and in a
way Evaluators of the new panels our Framework proposes can use.

Overall, comments are a cheap, easy way for groups, companies,
competitors, associations and others to tell us what they think of
Closed Generics.I think we should encourage them!

Best regards,

Kathy

Endnote:

[1]