[GNSO-GGP-WG] Actions & Notes | GGP WG-Applicant Support at ICANN77 on 13 June at 1530 EDT

Rosalind KennyBirch rosalind.kennybirch at dcms.gov.uk
Tue Jun 20 14:06:33 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I wanted to circulate GAC advice published on the applicant support
programme - this was a key topic of discussion at ICANN77. Copied and
pasted below (and linked here
<https://gac.icann.org/contentMigrated/icann77-washington-d-c-communique>).

Kind regards,
Roz

*3. Applicant Support in New gTLD Applications*
a. The GAC advises the Board:

i. To specify ICANN’s plans related to steps to expand financial support
and engage with actors in underrepresented or underserved regions by
ICANN78 in order to inform GAC deliberations on these matters.

ii. To take steps to substantially reduce or eliminate the application fees
and ongoing ICANN registry fees to expand financial support for applicants
from underrepresented or underserved regions.

iii. To take timely steps to facilitate significant global diversification
in the New gTLD program by ensuring increased engagement with a diverse
array of people and organizations in underrepresented or underserved
markets and regions, including by:
● Raising awareness of the Applicant Support Program;
● Providing training and assistance to potential applicants;
● Exploring the potential to support the provision of back-end services;
and
● Providing adequate funding for the Applicant Support Program consistent
with diversification targets.

*RATIONALE *
The GAC reaffirms the importance of increasing the number and geographical
distribution of applications from underrepresented or underserved regions
in future rounds of New gTLDs through the Applicant Support Program. The
GAC reiterates its “support for proposals to substantially reduce or
eliminate the application fees and ongoing ICANN registry fees to expand
financial support” , in order to sufficiently cover all such applications.

Without a substantial reduction in, or financial support for, the
application and ongoing fees, many potential applicants in underrepresented
or underserved regions would be unable to apply due to the status of their
economies, where available capital for ICT/digital initiatives has been
historically limited.

The GAC highlights that non-financial support is also an important element
of an applicant support programme, for example awareness raising, capacity
development services and training. Assisting in the provision of back-end
services may also be appropriate in some cases.