[GNSO-GGP-WG] Draft Agenda | GGP Applicant Support WG Meeting #12 - 08 May 2023 at 2000 UTC

Sarah T. Kiden skiden at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:22:22 UTC 2023

Dear Julie and Working Group Members,

In preparation for the WG meeting next week, we have some feedback on two
of the lifecycle elements. This is based on a discussion during the
At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) call yesterday.

*Lifecycle element #1: Outreach and Awareness*
We had a discussion around the use of 'under-developed',
'under-represented' or 'under-served'. These were some of the
questions/comments:

   - Can Indigenous Communities in developed regions apply for support? If
   yes, our group felt that the implementation guidance does not make this
   clear.
   - If someone is based in a developed region but supporting work in one
   of the target regions, can they apply in collaboration with the community?
   - The messaging should make it clear that it is not 'developed' vs
   'underdeveloped' but underserved in the sense of needing development of ICT
   and DNS infrastructure and not wealth.

*Lifecycle element #6: Ongoing Operations of the gTLD*
Our group proposed that we adjust the review period from two years to three
years.

To quote the comment: "*Three years after launch might be a better option
as the second year is the Junk Dump for new TLDs when
undeveloped/speculated domain names are dropped. By Y3, the patterns of a
new TLD start to emerge*."

I will also add this suggestion to the Google doc.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Sarah