[GNSO-GGP-WG] Feedback after listening to the GGP meeting of Oct 2

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:55:43 UTC 2023

Hi Julie

1. I finally got to listen to the whole recording of the GGP meeting.. and
my first comment is that in the last call I attended where we were invited
to prepare comments for discussion, I too had supported the intent of the
wording of Gabriel's first recommendation.  I do not agree that the
additional wording did not add anything. In fact, I felt that the
addition gave more depth and in fact added "more sense" to our
recommendation to ensure that more support was given to enhance
understanding by more prospective applicants.

2. To belabour that point, with regards to raising awareness and engagement
I believe that mentoring should also be included as they are all means of
SUPPORT which is what we are talking about here. Mentoring here does not
necessarily mean a full mentoring programme. When you are trying to raise
someone's awareness and to engage them, mentoring in its simplest form by a
staff or community member is one way to do this. I certainly do not feel
that this is "muddying" the recommendation at all. In fact, it adds to the
level of support that some applicants may require.  If the IRT believes
that it is not appropriate then (as Paul suggested) they or the small team
can make that decision. But surely, if the GGP team thinks mentoring is
appropriate then why can it not stay?

3. As Lawrence suggested, the outreach recommendation that we (the GGP)
would like to support is to ensure that Org provides enough information
about the application process, and the purposes of each step along the way,
so that ANY applicant can assess for themselves whether they would actually
qualify for ICANN support to continue with the actual application process.
Information about how an applicant will qualify for applicant support (as
set by Org) should be accessible by all applicants.

4. There was concern raised that there may be people who may want to game
the system, but the criteria for appIicant support which is to be made by
CANN, should clearly identify whether an applicant qualifies or not, and it
would be "muddying the waters" to suggest that anyone could benefit
financially from the applicant support process. ASP information will stress
that the only support that prospective ASP applicants will receive, will
only be by way of a discounted application fee and pro-bono support.

5. In order to forestall questions about where the $$millions that is
funding the ASP programme, is going.  I am assuming that the funds will go
back to ICANN to cover the cost of the discounts that they are offering ASP
applicants (if this is not so, then perhaps someone should be telling us!)

6. I appreciated Tom Barrett's attempt to reword the current statement
(supported by Lawrence) to include the GAC's intent to widen the scope of
applicants who may apply for applicant support especially if they are from
underserved regions - whether they are for-profit or not-for-profit - but
the recommendation should point out that the target group is
not-for-profits. Again, I feel it is appropriate for us to suggest this and
if the IRT or the small group consider one of the groups "ineligible" then
it is up to them to withdraw that criteria from the recommendation.

7. Finally, I was taken aback by the Chair's comment in response to the
GAC's suggestion to broaden the outreach as "appalling and self-serving"
which I did not feel was appropriate, nor was his comment that the "GAC and
BC might be able to bully their way...."  Such comments were uncalled for
in light of the fact that the public comment was requested from these
communities and did not deserve such responses from the Chair.

I hope that my travel arrangements go as planned so that I can be at the
next meeting on the 16th (@4am in NZ!!)

Maureen

--
*Maureen Hilyard*