[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] With correct AC chat: : MP3 IGO WG - Monday 08 September 2014 at 1900 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Tue Sep 9 13:51:19 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Working Group call on Monday 08 September 2014 at 1900 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-crp-access-20140908-en.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Imran Ahmed Shah – NCUC

Phil Corwin – BC

George Kirikos - Individual

Jay Chapman – Individual

Jim Bikoff – IPC

Nat Cohen – BC

Osvaldo Novoa – ISPCP

Paul Tattersfield – Individual

Petter Rindforth – IPC

Val Sherman – IPC

Griffin Barnett – IPC

Mason Cole – RySG

Reg Levy – RySG

Kathy Kleiman-NCUC

Kristine Dorrain – Individual

David Heasley – IPC

Alexander Lerman – no SOI

Apologies:

John Mcgrann – RrSG

David Maher - RySG

ICANN staff:

Mary Wong

Steve Chan

Nathalie Peregrine

Wiki page:

https://community.icann.org/x/97rhAg

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

-------------------------------

   Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the  IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection PDP WG Meeting on the 8th September 2014

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Audio has been enabled in the AC room

  Jay Chapman:Hi Nathalie.  Where will I find a dial-in number for audio?

  Nathalie  Peregrine:on the email invitation

  Nathalie  Peregrine:where are you based?

  Jay Chapman:got it.  the email was curtailed

  Nathalie  Peregrine:ok great!

  Reg - M+M:Is audio dial-in only?

  Mary Wong:@Reg, thre's audio in the Adobe Connect room as well.

  Mary Wong:And you can also turn on your mic for speaking purposes in AC.

  Val Sherman:Hello All. Also dialed in, along with Griffin Barnett and David Heasley

  Reg - M+M:Okay, just no one's speaking right now :)

  Reg - M+M:thanks!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:noted!

  Mary Wong:You're most welcome!

  Reg - M+M:I am a new member in the sense that this is my first call—but my SOI is updated.

  George Kirikos:Will this be a 1 hour call, or 90 mins?

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Osvaldo Novoa and Alexander Lerman have joined the ca;;

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Gearge, 60 mins

  George Kirikos:Great, thanks.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Imran Ahmed Shah has joined the call

  George Kirikos:Q: Has this been acknowledged by the entire board, or just the subset of the board in the New GTLDs Committee?

  George Kirikos:(there was some debate on that on the GNSO Council mailing list, so it was unclear)

  Kristine Dorrain-NAF:sorry to introduce myself and run but I had short notice on this meeting and have a conflict.  See you all next week!

  Petter Rindforth:yes, you are correct

  Imran Ahmed Shah:I suggest that we the WG members should be provided with the access to the databases to have a look onto them before the discussion about recommendations or discussion starts.

  George Kirikos:Do you mean the TMCH database, Imran? Or some other ones?

  Imran Ahmed Shah:yes also the other databases like yearbook of IGO, IGNO and others

  George Kirikos:Right, I suggested those, although they're very expensive -- hopefully ICANN can either buy it, or ask for it to be free (since we're using it for "academic" or "research" purposes)

  Imran Ahmed Shah:yes,

  Imran Ahmed Shah:I agree that we will need to review for policy development process

  George Kirikos:The Doodle poll was fairly even --- conceivably we could rotate the dates/times?

  Mary Wong:@George, if possible we'd like to avoid that as from past experience that's proven more confusing than we'd thought :)

  George Kirikos:Ok. :)

  Imran Ahmed Shah:It is fine for me to both Mon or Tue same time

  Imran Ahmed Shah:altou its 00 mid night, but some times its ok

  Kathy Kleiman:Mondays are good for me.

  Reg - M+M:fine for me

  George Kirikos:I'll be fine with this time, personally, for most weeks.

  George Kirikos:(can't speak for others who aren't present, though)

  Jay Chapman:next Mon works - not all will

  Imran Ahmed Shah:And what will be the agenda of next meeting?

  George Kirikos:Can we have the draft work plan well in advance of the next meeting?

  George Kirikos:(if we're just seeing it for the first time next Monday, we won't be able to put forth meaningful comments/analysis)

  Imran Ahmed Shah:yes, it will be helpful to review

  Mary Wong:@George, the idea is to share it with the WG as much prior to Monday as we can :)

  George Kirikos:Thanks, Mary.

  Kathy Kleiman:But that is not knowledge now held by this WG

  Mary Wong:Staff can circulate the documents that Jim mentioned for this WG's review.

  Kathy Kleiman:@Mary: great

  George Kirikos:Correct about the IOC. THe question is, if they're exercising the rights, why change the status quo?

  Imran Ahmed Shah:I do not agree that without looking onto the data and information, we will be preparing right policy

  George Kirikos:(and that's part of the scope of this group, i.e. IGO/INGOs concerned about immunity, etc.)

  Kathy Kleiman:But what analysis has been done of the scope of protection of an IGO with a very general name, e.g., World Health Organization?

  George Kirikos:Yes, Kathy. e.g. for ISO, there are registered TMs for gloves, etc.

  Kathy Kleiman:The concern is that many similar organizations, with similar missions, and no intent to infringe, easily overlap in these highly descriptive names.

  George Kirikos:So, part of our work should be an examination, i.e. going out and getting all the data, to measure the extent of the problems, concurrent uses, etc.

 Mary Wong:One distinction between an IGO and an INGO is the different "hurdles" each has with using the UDRP and URS. For instance, IGOs have a jurisdictional immunity issue that INGOs do not have - this was in the Issue Report as a basis for the Council to initiate the PDP.

  Mary Wong:@George, we are hoping that NAF and WIPO can assist us in that regard (data etc.)

  George Kirikos:By, for example, surveying all IGOs/INGOs directly, we can actually get more scientific data, rather than ad hoc data like we currently have from a few voices.

  George Kirikos:(if we have the budget to go out and send a mass mailing, for example)

  George Kirikos:Looks like we're close to 4 pm.

  George Kirikos:Bye everyone.

  Imran Ahmed Shah:Thansk

  Kathy Kleiman:Tx!