[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Question about ICANN General Counsel report on USPTO practice relating to IGO identifiers protected by Article 6ter

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Mon Sep 15 23:01:13 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Staff thought we should follow up on George¹s question regarding ICANN
General Counsel¹s point on the United States Patent & Trademark Office
(USPTO) process relating to IGOs and Article 6ter. We hope that the
following information from the USPTO will help:
http://tmep.uspto.gov/RDMS/mashup/html/page/manual/TMEP/Apr2014/TMEP-1200d1e
4645.xml

The link briefly describes generally how a country deals with a notification
of a protected IGO under Article 6ter (including the treaty-prescribed
period for national objections) as well as the USPTO¹s practice regarding
attempted trademark registrations in this regard.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director