[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Letter to GAC Chair from Cherine Chalaby

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Jan 23 23:20:43 UTC 2015

Dear WG members,

I suppose today can be said to be one of those days ³when it rains, it
pours² Š Please note that Cherine Chalaby, Chair of the Board¹s New gTLD
Program Committee (NGPC), has just sent a letter to Thomas Schneider, Chair
of the GAC, requesting further information from the GAC on the issue of
curative rights protection for IGOs. I would note also that in his letter,
Cherine expressly highlights the fact that this issue is being dealt with by
the GNSO through our Working Group.

As we know, the GAC has recently indicated to us via its policy support
staff that its response to the set of questions we had sent them can only be
expected after the Singapore meeting. In light of Cherine¹s letter, we can
perhaps expect that there will be a response forthcoming from the GAC at
that time.

The letter can be viewed at:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/chalaby-to-schneider-22
jan15-en.pdf.