[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] An interesting UDRP brought by the US Securities and Exchange Commission

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Apr 12 15:11:47 UTC 2017

Correct, the immunity issue isn't really engaged in this case.

The issues that are illustrated are:

1. public interest -- "we're a special snowflake, and so we require
special rules tailored for us because all the good we do in the word"
-- same could be said about the SEC,  but they could live with the
UDRP. Public interest argument of IGOs is thus answered.

2. fees -- "UDRP costs divert precious resources from our special
mission" -- same could be said about the SEC (and many others, both in
the public and private sectors), but the SEC didn't seek a subsidy
either. Fees argument of IGOs is also answered (although our report
did offer olive branches there).

Since those were 2 of the major themes in the IGOs' arguments, it
narrows things to immunity. I think our work on that, with Professor
Swaine's research as well as the workarounds we identified, is
stellar.