[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] PLEASE READ: Deadline for proposals and agenda for Working Group meeting this week

Zak Muscovitch zak at muscovitch.com
Wed Dec 13 15:30:38 UTC 2017

Dear All,

With regards to the Consensus Call, I wonder if it is preferable to have a
‘ranked ballot’ if possible, so that members can rank their choices in
order of preference. In this manner the vote will reflect the choice that
is the most agreeable to the most people.

Ranked voting is considered a more accurate measure of voter sentiment than
the typical 'plurality' voting, especially when there are more than two
options, and especially when some of the options share similarities while
others are quite dissimilar.  Ranked voting is in use by Australia, by
Canadian political parties, by the Oscars for picking the Best Picture
winner, by San Francisco for picking it mayor and now by Maine for picking
most of its elected officials (
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us/maine-ranked-choice-voting.html).
More information about ranked ballots is available here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting.

Zak