[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Response from Working Group co-chairs to George Kirikos' written submission

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Jan 16 19:26:49 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

To respond briefly (I'll have more on Thursday's call), that letter
purports to respond to the PDF of last week, see:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-January/001035.html

Folks will note that it fails to acknowledge most of the serious and
detailed points that were made in that prior PDF (which would have
corresponded to the oral arguments I planned for last week).

In addition, it attempts to invent/manufacture a "brand new reason" to
ex-post justify anonymity by attempting to attack my own behaviour (on
pages 4 and 5). That new reasoning is entirely without merit. Sections
2.2.1, 3.4 and 3.5 of the PDP Working Group Guidelines have specific
procedure in place in the event any behaviour *actually* breached the
guidelines.

https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-01sep16-en.pdf

The fact that I've not been given a formal warning, private or public
(see Section 3.5), by the co-chairs speaks for how weak and
unjustified this "brand new reason" is, and how they're stretching to
justify anonymous participation, regardless of the ICANN principles of
transparency and accountability. By their weak reasoning, it implies
that each and every PDP I'm involved with (and even those I'm not
involved with, but decide to comment on publicly!) should have
anonymous input/polling, lest folks have their positions be be
criticized and scrutinized (an important accountability mechanism).
There are defamation laws in place for anyone who damages another
person's reputation based on false statements. I'm sure most folks are
aware of why free speech exists, and I need not waste folks' time
repeating the standard reasons.

I'll have more to say on Thursday with regards to the actual basis for
the Section 3.7 appeal focusing on the long-established principles of
transparency and accountability, but just wanted to put the above on
the record.