[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] CLARIFICATIONS (Re: Proposed agenda for the WG call on 12 June 2018 at 16:00 UTC)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Jun 12 03:12:08 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Staff wishes to clarify a few matters.

First, please note that a consensus call process is not a formal voting process. The GNSO Working Group Guidelines require that initial designations of consensus levels be made by the Working Group chair(s) following what they believe has been, and based on their estimation and evaluation of the outcome of, sufficient discussion of the issues under consideration by the group. As has been noted previously by this group, polling is intended to be limited to rare situations, and even so the Guidelines note that “care should be taken in using polls that they do not become votes”. There is no requirement that all members’ preferences must be expressly listed, and this is not generally done in other PDPs – however, for this particular group Petter believed that in the circumstances it might be useful to do so in the document that he sent around initially.

The updated document that Steve circulated most recently with the proposed agenda reflected what, as of the close of the consensus call and when Petter and Susan conferred with staff, seemed to be the situation based on members’ expressed opinions. In some cases, where a person noted that he/she supported a recommendation/option but did not specifically say he/she opposed others, their silence on the other recommendations/options was not necessarily interpreted as objection – seeing especially as this process is not a formal voting process and, as such, there is no provision for abstentions. There may be disagreement about whether someone in fact supported or opposed a proposal based on what they did or did not say, or whether he/she will now support a proposal because of some changes made to the text – this iterative consensus process is intended to elicit that type of clarification and error correction.

Secondly, the GNSO procedures do not require that the Final Report be circulated along with the opening of the consensus call. While typically this has been done in some other PDPs, the circumstances of this Working Group mean that the last version of the draft Final Report that was circulated could not include final proposed language on some of the options, as these needed clarifying through the consensus process that is now taking place. Staff notes that members were invited to voice concerns and raise suggestions about substantive text of the draft Final Report that had been circulated, and a deadline of 21 May suggested for this purpose. Staff has noted the few suggestions received and will be updating the report further with the final results of this consensus call.

Thirdly, staff had already noted to Petter and Susan that Option 1 and Option 4 may be incompatible with one another, as several members have already begun discussing on this mailing list. Our collective expectation was that this is something that can and should be clarified by the group, possibly on the call taking place later today, if it becomes clear that those are indeed going to be the group’s final consensus recommendations. In this regard, while the anticipated date of finalization of all recommendations and the report was intended to be 17 June, we note that this was based on the hope that there will not be significant difficulty in reaching agreement on the final consensus levels and recommendations. It is up to the group, in consultation with Petter and Susan, to determine if after the call today more time may be needed.

Finally, the updated consensus level designations document includes a few changes to the text of Recommendations #1 & #2. For Recommendation #1, we have added the word “substantive” to the phrase “No [substantive] changes to the UDRP and URS are to be made … “, reflecting a suggestion made by Zak to clarify that procedural changes may still be permitted if these become necessary. For Recommendation #2, we suggested a change (as noted by George) but did not go on to suggest that the sentence in addition be amended to say that where an IGO “believes it has unregistered trademark or service mark rights” as also suggested by George. We suggested an amendment to read only “believes it has unregistered rights” instead, as we believe that UDRP jurisprudence permits certain forms of unregistered rights that are not trademark-based (e.g. via passing off or unfair competition) to ground standing to file a complaint.

Staff would also like to take this opportunity also to reiterate that where we have raised questions or provided information about specific issues, we have done so in our role as policy staff facilitating and supporting GNSO Working Groups, managing Working Group processes, and providing subject matter expertise where needed or appropriate. We hope that the Working Group has found this assistance helpful.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Mary and Steve