[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] LET's GET BACK TO WORK - Part 2 Re: Public Display of Possible Consensus

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed May 9 12:41:59 UTC 2018

PHIL,

Just a short refrain to your comments:

1.	While I nominally remain co-chair of this WG, control over it has
essentially been assumed by the Chair of the GNSO Council via the Council
Liaison, as the WG's authority
	is solely derived from Council.

	RESPONSE.	This is not correct.  On April 26th Susan stated in an email
(copied below in full at the end of my email):

				"I understand from last week’s call that members of the group are
willing
				  and keen to work together to reach a final document, and I fully
support that happening."

				"It is the role of the WG, not the liaison or the Council, to drive
				 the effort to a final document for presentation to Council.”

				"Our recommendation can be boiled down to suggesting that the WG
develop
				 its final output for presentation to the GNSO Council; if consensus
cannot
				 be reached on any particular points, the various options raised
should be
				 identified, as these are an important record of the ideas proposed
but not
				 agreed upon. Recording this information indeed was our intention in
conducting
				 the WG member consultation process."

			If she had meant that the WG was under the control of the liaison or
Council she would have said so.  She did not.  She said “working group"

2.	I find it both ironic and sad that the WG was brought to a halt by Mr.
Kirikos months ago because the co-chairs proposed to poll the full WG
membership to initiate the consensus call process, and that he persisted
in that appeal even after the co-chairs modified that proposal to assure
that the poll would be conducted in a fully transparent matter -- yet now
he has elected to conduct his own poll.

	RESPONSE.		This is not correct. I participated in the appeal process and
the related calls.  The resulting agreement was to have the liaison
attempt to determine if there was consensus
			and if so what that was.  The issue of polls was discussed as a
post-liaison process on the condition that it would be transparent - as
opposed to your original
			non-transparent plan that lead to the appeal.

3.	Mr. Kirikos has no authority under the GNSO WG Guidelines to conduct
such a poll and its results have no official status.

	RESPONSE.	I find this a counter-productive statement that ignores the
goal of actually achieving consensus and working towards the preparation
of the final report.
			Whether it is “official” or not, it helps guide the conversation
forward.  It is a transparent broadcast of the views of those who
responded.
			I even supplemented my responses with my reasoning as to each option.

3.	I must also note that option 4 -- referral of any decisions on the IGO
CRP matter to the RPM Review WG -- is fundamentally incompatible with any
of the other options, which would make policy decisions now within the IGO
CRP WG. Yet several members are supporting both option 4 and others.
Whether that RPM WG will address IGO immunity issues specifically, or
sovereign immunity issues more generally, and whether addressing that
subject requires a Charter change, will be determined by its membership at
the appropriate time.

	RESPONSE.	First, I do not see how they are incompatible.  Nothing in
Option 4 precludes the final report from expressing the WG views as to
immunity.
			Second, Option 4 refers the underlying need for Policy/Rules alteration
to the appropriate WG for consideration as to any changes that may or may
not be required
			to the UDRP or URS policies or underlying rules.

4.	The Recommended Next Steps contained in the "SUMMARY REPORT FROM THE
GNSO COUNCIL LIAISON ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF CONSULTATIONS WITH THE
IGO-INGO CURATIVE RIGHTS PDP WORKING GROUP (12 April 2018)" continue to be
those that govern this WG as it comes to a conclusion.

 	RESPONSE. 	It would appear that Susan is recommending that the WG
continue to work towards identifying a consensus AND that the WG work
towards producing a “final report” by May 14th.
			She even offers her assistance to work with a drafting team.  And, in
the case consensus is not easily identified she provides reference to
another WG team and its approach
			(listing the various options and indicating the level of support for
each).  However, I see nothing in her recommendations that would support
abandoning efforts to identify
			consensus.

				Susan also stated in her April 26th email:

				"I remain very willing to support and assist the WG in developing a
final report, and I understand from last week’s call that other
				 members of the WG are likewise willing. I suggest therefore that we
form a small drafting team with a view to developing a final
				 report by 14 May, in time for submission and consideration by the
Council during the 24 May GNSO Council meeting."

+++++++++++++++++++++

Here is the entirety of Susan’s April 26th email for anyone doubting the
quotations above:

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo-crp%40icann.org?Subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BGnso-igo-ing
o-crp%5D%20Message%20from%20Susan%20Kawaguchi%20%28GNSO%20Council%0A%20liai
son%20to%20the%20IGO-INGO%20Curative%20Rights%20PDP%20Working%20Group%29&In
-Reply-To=%3CB2B97E1F-F7E0-47D0-AACE-FC8B6B9ADFB4%40icann.org%3E>
Thu Apr 26 15:13:17 UTC 2018
memo - SUPPORT FOR #4.
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/001137.html>
Summary Report from the Liaison (was Re: GNSO Council Liaison Summary
Report (Re: IGO-INGO Curative Rights Policy Development Process Working
Group))
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/001139.html>
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/date.html#1138
> [ thread ]
><https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/thread.html#1
>138> [ subject ]
><https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/subject.html#
>1138> [ author ]
><https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-April/author.html#1
>138>

Dear Working Group members,

Please see the email message below, which staff is sending on behalf of
Susan Kawaguchi, the GNSO Council liaison to our PDP Working Group.

Dear IGO-INGO Curative Rights Policy Development Process (PDP) Working
Group members,

I write in my role as GNSO Council liaison to this Working Group (WG) to
follow up on the WG meeting held last week and to clarify
misunderstandings that may have arisen from that call.

The intention in providing a report of the WG member consultation process
was to develop a record of the views expressed in that process.
Ultimately, a PDP WG is required to report its findings to the GNSO
Council. The member consultation process was intended to provide a
workable pathway to reaching this point, and the record of those views
intended to inform the WG’s final report to the GNSO Council. I understand
from last week’s call that members of the group are willing and keen to
work together to reach a final document, and I fully support that
happening.

While the member consultation process was initiated to address a Section
3.7 appeal under the GNSO WG Guidelines in which concerns were raised
about the appropriate means of designating WG consensus, the
recommendations made by me and the GNSO Chair go beyond the Section 3.7
appeal, because the input received during the consultation process raised
other issues going beyond the scope of the appeal. Many of these other
issues dovetailed with the GNSO Council’s current initiative to improve
the effectiveness and efficiency of PDPs (a process we call “PDP 3.0”).
One of the priorities raised by the Council in its Strategic Planning
Session in January 2018 and by PDP leaders and the community in a workshop
held at ICANN61 was for Council to take a more active role in supporting
and managing PDP timelines. In its Strategic Planning Session, the GNSO
Council identified completion of this PDP’s work by mid-year to be a top
priority based on the broader GNSO PDP workload and each PDP’s timeline
and milestones.

Ultimately, Heather’s and my recommendation that the WG wind up its work
takes that input from the GNSO Council into account. Our recommendation
can be boiled down to suggesting that the WG develop its final output for
presentation to the GNSO Council; if consensus cannot be reached on any
particular points, the various options raised should be identified, as
these are an important record of the ideas proposed but not agreed upon.
Recording this information indeed was our intention in conducting the WG
member consultation process.

To clarify, the intention of the WG member consultation process was never
to guarantee or influence a particular substantive outcome, or even to
guarantee that consensus would be reached on any/all points under
discussion; it was merely to provide an alternative approach by which
members could voice their views on the points under discussion and capture
these for inclusion in the record and to gain an understanding of each WG
member’s point of view.

It is the role of the WG, not the liaison or the Council, to drive the
effort to a final document for presentation to Council. To that end, we
suggested that if the group cannot achieve consensus on any particular
points, then the model of the Cross-Country Working Group for the Use of
Country & Territory Names as TLDs (CWG-UCTN) Final Report would be
instructive (that group’s final report contains three recommendations on
which consensus was reached, and a fourth recommendation presented in
option form with support recorded for each option).

I remain very willing to support and assist the WG in developing a final
report, and I understand from last week’s call that other members of the
WG are likewise willing. I suggest therefore that we form a small drafting
team with a view to developing a final report by 14 May, in time for
submission and consideration by the Council during the 24 May GNSO Council
meeting.

Kind regards,
Susan
(GNSO Council liaison to the IGO-INGO Curative Rights PDP WG)

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Paul Raynor Keating, Esq.

Law.es <http://law.es/>

Tel. +34 93 368 0247 (Spain)

Tel. +44.7531.400.177 (UK)
Tel. +1.415.937.0846 (US)

Fax. (Europe) +34 93 396 0810

Fax. (US)(415) 358.4450

Skype: Prk-Spain

email:  Paul at law.es

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY CONTAIN
INFORMATION SUBJECT TO THE ATTORNEY/CLIENT OR WORK-PRODUCT PRIVILEGE.  THE
INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, NO WAIVER OF
PRIVILEGE IS MADE OR INTENDED AND YOU ARE REQUESTED TO  PLEASE DELETE THE
EMAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENTS.

Circular 230 Disclosure: To assure compliance with Treasury Department
rules governing tax practice, we hereby inform you that any advice
contained herein (including in any attachment) (1) was not written or
intended to be used, and cannot be used, by you or any taxpayer for the
purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on you or any
taxpayer and (2) may not be used or referred to by you or any other person
in connection with promoting, marketing or recommending to another person
any transaction or matter addressed herein.

NOTHING CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL SHALL CONSTITUTE THE FORMATION OF AN
ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP; SUCH A RELATIONSHIP MAY BE FORMED WITH THIS
FIRM AND ATTORNEY ONLY BY SEPARATE FORMAL WRITTEN ENGAGEMENT AGREEMENT,
WHICH THIS IS NOT.  IN THE ABSENCE OF SUCH AN AGREEMENT, NOTHING CONTAINED
HEREIN SHALL CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE

On 5/8/18, 9:09 PM, "Gnso-igo-ingo-crp on behalf of Corwin, Philip via
Gnso-igo-ingo-crp" <gnso-igo-ingo-crp-bounces at icann.org on behalf of