[Gnso-igo-ingo] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat for IGO-INGO Protections in all gTLDS PDP WG on Red Cross Names on 20 July 2017 13:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Jul 20 18:46:22 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the reconvened IGO-INGO Protections in all gTLDs PDP Working Group on Red Cross Names held on 20 July 2017 at 13:00 UTC.

Mp3:  Monark Panchal commented on ticket #563816 Hello Michelle, The request has been completed: https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20jul17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]<Monark%20Panchal%20commented%20on%20ticket%20#563816
Hello%20Michelle,

The%20request%20has%20been%20completed:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul%20
https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20jul17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

<Monark%20Panchal%20commented%20on%20ticket%20#563816
Hello%20Michelle,

The%20request%20has%20been%20completed:

https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul%20
https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20jul17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

AC recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p2oezh20mo0/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=E2vmSmAIFiMHbXvtPGq4TC82vJ9qNqqrkv_r2-VAgdI&s=wfRnhR5wGcI8YaPTIhiec3CkcYitSb0s-A5paUtmcQQ&e=>

Agenda Wiki page:   https://community.icann.org/x/onfwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

———————————————

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 20 July 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the Reconvened meeting of the IGO-INGO PDP Working Group call on Red Cross Names on Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 13:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_onfwAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Wgjm516oTIN-ZdOvjahQXHTvVoBstsAfotFlacrsPME&s=PaztrM-dguBXvJ8-W35UYiGUhap00veTzuEcq5Dsalw&e=
  Chuck Gomes:Hello from California
  Heather Forrest:Hello from Tasmania! (how's that from 2 different ends of the earth, Chuck?)
  Chuck Gomes:I like it Heather.  It's 6 am for me; what time is it for you?
  Thomas Rickert:just one sec
  Jeff Neuman:Is everyone hearing clicking
  Jeff Neuman:or is it just my connetion
  Jeff Neuman:connection
  Mason Cole - Donuts:I hear it too Jeff
  Chuck Gomes:I am hearing the clicking but it is fairly minor.
  Thomas Rickert:I am still hearing music on the audio bridge
  Michelle DeSmyter:k - I will alert the operator you are dialing in
  Thomas Rickert:sorry for this.
  Thomas Rickert:I am now waiting for the dial-out
  Chuck Gomes:I am on the audio bridge.  Was connected quickly.
  Thomas Rickert:so sorry for making you wait
  Alan Greenberg:My audio quality really bad. Will reconnect to bridge.
  Alan Greenberg:I will not be able to stay for full 2 hr meeting.
  Heather Forrest:@Chuck - sorry, slow reply. 23:00 my local time (bedtime)
  Berry Cobb:Thomas, kill your AC mic, echo.
  Mary Wong:Please mute if you're not speaking, thanks
  Heather Forrest:The echo is terrible - can't really hear
  Marika Konings:If Thomas is on the telephone line, someone should mute his AC mic as it is open
  Marika Konings:looks like it is muted now :-)
  Marika Konings:much better!
  Marika Konings:I'm not on audio :-
  Marika Konings:Thanks for the intro Thomas :-)
  Heather Forrest:Happy retirement, Chuck! (funny how your retirement seems a lot like pre-retirement in ICANN-land)
  Steve Chan:Thomas, I'm not on audio either. ICANN GSNO Support staff.
  Alan Greenberg:Cannot hear heather
  Heather Forrest:Sorry - was my audio poor?
  Alan Greenberg:For me in any case!
  Berry Cobb:Heather, you came in faint.  You might want to adjust your AC mic or consider dialing into audio bridge if you intend to contribute more on the call.
  Heather Forrest:Will do, thanks Berry. Quick summary: I was not on the original PDP, but as a member of GNSO Council leadership was involved in the facilitated discussion that led to the re-formation of this PDP WG. I am here mainly as an observer - happy to support as needed.
  Michelle DeSmyter:We do have Stephane Hankin on audio phone bridge only
  Mary Wong:At the time of PDP completion, there were 189 National Sociteties. Since then, one more has been added - so the total is now 190.
  Mary Wong:The Red Cross participants in the PDP also submitted a minority report to the Final Report.
  Evan Leibovitch:We also had the IOC to deal with.
  Mary Wong:@Evan, true - and both these orgs (RC and IOC) were the only NGOs for whom the GAC requested protections (although the PDP WG also came up with recommendations for all NGOs that appear on the UN ECOSOC list).
  Heather Forrest:Noting, following up on Thomas’s comment re acronyms, that the GNSO Council motion that recommended reforming this PDP WG, instructs only a review of recommendations in relation to names: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_council_resolutions-23201705&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Wgjm516oTIN-ZdOvjahQXHTvVoBstsAfotFlacrsPME&s=aTS24TvOITsaoivFf0EzvkunfJ4PnbJ39Oh8GKrqIus&e=
  Alan Greenberg:Clearly we cannot (or should not) recommend something that is counter to the ICANN Bylaws. But I don't think that is equivalen to us having to make recommendations that have "legal basis". We cannot recommend anything counter to legality, but in theory, we do not have to have a legal basis.
  Alan Greenberg:ECHO!!!!!!
  Mary Wong:@Alan, I think what Thomas was addressing is the need for this WG (and the GNSO Council) to be clear about what the basis for protection is, should the original policy rec end up being changed. That will allow the Board to make a reasonaed decision as to whether, and what, to approve ultimately.
  Heather Forrest:Acronyms are not in scope per Council's motion. For the WG to consider acronyms, there needs to be a direction as such from Council.
  Mary Wong:@Heather, yes. And the Board request to the Council also only covered names, not acronyms.
  Greg Shatan:Did Stephane mention which treaty or treaties he was referring to?
  Evan Leibovitch:Beyond the legal and treaty issues, we (at least ALAC) also considered the real-world potential for fraud. The ICRC and its national entities engage in global fundraising, so there is a genuine possibility that use of their names within domains could be used to fraudulently solicit funds.
  Mary Wong:@Greg, I believe it was the Geneva Convention and the associated Protocols.
  Heather Forrest:It would be helpful to have circulated to the list the precise international legal provisions referred to by Stephane .
  Mary Wong:Conventions in the plural, I should have said
  Greg Shatan:Agree with Heather.
  Heather Forrest:Again given the complexity of the treaty language, in my view the WG should have the benefit of the actual provisions to read closely
  Mary Wong:Staff can circulate the briefing document that was prepared for the Copenhagen facilitated dialogue - that contains more background and informaton on the Geneva Conventions.
  Greg Shatan:We'll need to. see if that sets out the application of the Conventions to the particular facts at hand.  Just having the language  of the Conventions is only half of the task, or less.
  Greg Shatan:Alan, that seems to indicate some skepticism that there is a readily apparent legal basis for these protections.
  Evan Leibovitch:Agree with no need for indepdent advice
  Greg Shatan:Evan, what do you know that I don't know?
  Alan Greenberg:@Greg, I am not at all convinced that there is a strong legal reason for the requested protection. I believe there *IS* a strong public interest rationale for that protection.
  Greg Shatan:I think it would be rash to answer the question in the positive or the. negative, unless one doesn't care whether there's a legal basis for these protections.
  Alan Greenberg:The fact that legal protection is granted in some circumstances sends a strong message to me on the public interest perspective.. And THAT is linked to domain names
  Mary Wong:Does a next meeting on THursdays at this time work for all?
  Greg Shatan:But we don't know whether those circumstances are legally relevant to this discussion.
  Heather Forrest:It's late timing for Asia Pacific.
  Heather Forrest:But I might be the only APAC follower of the reconvened group, so it's not good reason to tinker with the timing
  Greg Shatan:I actually have a standing call at 14:00 UTC on Thursdays.  It was cancelled for this week.