[Gnso-igo-ingo] Table of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies' names - Reconvened WG - Red Cross Society Names Protections

Stephane Hankins shankins at icrc.org
Mon Apr 30 15:01:20 UTC 2018

Dear Berry, dear Thomas,
Dear all,

As agreed during our last telephone conference of 15 February, please find
attached a copy of the completed Table of National Red Cross and Red
Crescent Societies' names.

This was prepared on the basis of the previously agreed criteria and
conforms to the mock-up list we had submitted to the Reconvened Working
Group earlier this year.

Safe for exceptional cases where this was not manageable, the attached
list was prepared in close coordination and consultation with the
respective National Societies.

Please note that, as previously discussed, some slight variations were
introduced to the criteria where this was expressly requested and
justified -

e.g. in some rare cases, we included the words "red cross" or "red
crescent" in the national language on their own (without the adjective
indicating national affiliation) and thus, where the words "red cross" or
"red crescent" constitute the commonly used name of the National Society
(for instance, the words "Red Cross" in Swahili are included, as this is a
name under which the Kenya Red Cross is commonly known and identified in
Kenya: the words "Red Crescent" are included in Dari and in Pashto as this
is the commonly used name of the Afghan Red Crescent in Afghanistan). In
such instances, the English translation is inserted in the table in a
yellow cell and is not proposed, as such, for protection/reservation.

Please note that in a number of cases, certain translations of the names
in national languages could not be included due to the fact that they do
not exist  (for instance, in the case of languages which do not make use
of definite articles). In these cases, the concerned cells in official
languages other than English were left blank.

Thank you for any questions or querries that you would have on the
attached table.

With kind regards,

Stéphane

Stéphane J. Hankins
Legal adviser
Cooperation and Coordination within the Movement
International Committee of the Red Cross
Tel (Prof.):++41 22 730 24 19

----- Forwarded by Stephane Hankins/DIR_GEN_MOUV_CHF/GVA/ICRC on
27.04.2018 15:55 -----