[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Letter from Akram to New gTLD Applications for .HOME, .CORP, and .MAIL

Martin Sutton martin at brandregistrygroup.org
Tue Mar 7 09:14:57 UTC 2017

Hi all,

My apologies for not being able to make yesterdays WT4 meeting.

As part of the groups discussions on name collisions, the following letter from Akram to applicants of .home, .corp and .mail may be of interest.  It doesn’t say much other than the Board continues to review this but they remain in limbo for now - https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-home-registry-inc-et-al-06mar17-en.pdf:

Thank you for your letter of 24 August 2016, regarding name collisions and their impact on the new gTLD applications for .HOME, .CORP, and .MAIL.1

As you are aware, on 30 July 2014, the ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) adopted the “Name Collision Occurrence Management Framework” and indefinitely deferred the delegation of the strings identified within the framework as high risk (.HOME, .CORP, and .MAIL).2 The applications for these strings have been “On-Hold” as a result of this resolution since 2014.

We acknowledge your request that the “Board take formal action to commission an examination of mitigation measures that will enable the release of .HOME, .CORP, and .MAIL.” Please note that the topic of name collision continues to be considered by the ICANN Board. For updates regarding Board activity, please visit the 2017 Board Meetings page on the ICANN website (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/2017-board-meetings).

We will update affected applicants if there is activity that directly impacts their application. Please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of Global Domains Division leadership with any questions.

Martin Sutton
Executive Director
Brand Registry Group
martin at brandregistrygroup.org<mailto:martin at brandregistrygroup.org>