[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Work Track 4 agenda for 4 May 2017

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Tue May 9 19:44:51 UTC 2017

Thanks Rubens.  I do not think that these specific TLD strings have to be specifically mentioned in our Charter.  They simply fall under the category of name collisions, clearly within scope.  As you point out, it is not because something became an issue in the first round that it falls outside our remit.

Don’t we say it’s the GNSO that makes policy, not the Board?  You said that as to new applications for very risky names,
“That's one of the policy questions I mentioned.”

It makes no sense to me that cases of very risky name collision strings going forward are within the scope of Sub Pro but that very risky name collision issues identified with .home, .corp, and .mail are dealt with directly by the Board.  Shouldn’t the same consistent policy (developed according to a Multi-Stakeholder bottom-up process with ample opportunity for public comment) apply to very risk name collision strings regardless of application date?

Why would the Board be in charge of name collision mitigation policy for very risky names in connection with 2012 round applications, while  Sub Pro and GNSO are in charge of name collision mitigation policy for very risky names not yet applied for?

Attached is the letter from Akram dealing with this topic.

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office