[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Recording, AC recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 4 ­ IDNs/Technical & Operations call on Thursday, 25 May 2017 15:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu May 25 17:16:09 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The Adobe Connect recording and AC Chat are below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations held on Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:   <https://participate.icann.org/p6inqxs1wgj/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=1d0b66cd3929354d21560731d101913a0a7092f23edd328723cd77441b3653ca> https://participate.icann.org/p6inqxs1wgj/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/KdTRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 25 May 2017

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the The call for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations on Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 15:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_KdTRAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_KdTRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=QwTuQlm0jgowtzfTbWlT05Zo65nhmIajCNh4xKJxQ10&s=7MIqZ-8OjtawU3pIyFP5hd6NUF91yQjFGLitK96UnmY&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=QwTuQlm0jgowtzfTbWlT05Zo65nhmIajCNh4xKJxQ10&s=7MIqZ-8OjtawU3pIyFP5hd6NUF91yQjFGLitK96UnmY&e=

  Julie Hedlund:@Patrik: You are a presenter and can move the slides.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes we appreciate the aggregation of points with SAC094

  Rubens Kuhl:While IETF only takes personal input, not organisational input, it would be useful if SSAC members raise their concerns in the upcoming Last-Call of the problem statement of TLD coordination between ICANN and IETF.

  avri doria:to some people, like myself personally,another word for "private use" is squatting

  Rubens Kuhl:Question: would you currently recommend .bit and .gnu not to be offered in new gTLD subsequent procedures ? Or are they squatters ?

  Nathaniel Edwards:Squatting implies some intent. That is not the case for .mail, .home and.corp. Used for a very, very long time.

  avri doria:i think of squatting as something to be discouraged for the future and instance that exist need mitigation (mostly not a SubPro issue) .

  Nathaniel Edwards:What would be the motivation for  many thousands of private persons/entities to "squat" on "private use" names with the goal of creating a name collision risk to stop delegation of a TLD?

  Rubens Kuhl:If policy staff could forward this SSAC comment on TMCH to the RPM Review PDP WG, it would be interesting... unless it's already been taken into account.

  Nathaniel Edwards:I apologize, Patrik, that question was directed at Avri.

  avri doria:Nathaniel, i personally beleive that if people know they can just grab and use and that there will be no effort to unwind or mitigate such unauthorized use, there will be more.

  Steve Chan:@Rubens, I will check with the staff support for that PDP

  avri doria:Nathaniel, I beleive we have educate the world on what not to do and why and how to work around it.

  avri doria:Nathaniel, and we have to figure out how to mitigate the case where it has happened or may happen in the future.

  avri doria:But those are jus personal views, not co-chair views.

  Julie Hedlund:@All: The Emoji document will be published today.  Staff will send the link to this list when published.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks Julie

  Rubens Kuhl:I think the Emoji fans response is just :-(

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)::-)

  Rubens Kuhl:Full-disclosure:, co-chair hat off I don't think Emoji should be used in domain names.

  Rubens Kuhl:Slide 6 or 7: Question: would you currently recommend .bit and .gnu not to be offered in new gTLD subsequent procedures ? Or are they squatters ?

  Nathaniel Edwards:Patrik, has ICANN taken any action in response to Rec 7 of SSAC 66: "ICANN should in due course publish information about not yet disclosed issues [regarding name collision risks]"?

  avri doria:can .bit & .gno be subjected to the RFC 6761 process

  avri doria:i meant .gnu not .gno

  avri doria:SSAc also suggested at one point that registries be warned if they were applying for a known collision risk at the time of applications

  Rubens Kuhl:I remember an expired I-D (Internet Draft) for .bit.

  Quoc Pham:.onion has a commercial use with tor as opposed to .local - could this be a point of differential which does not qualify .onion "special use"

  Julie Hedlund:@Did we lose Patrik?

  Rubens Kuhl:Patrik, we can't hear you.

  Rubens Kuhl:Now we can.

  Patrik Fältström, SSAC Chair:Yes, you can always ask me for clarifications. You can and should also send more specific questions to SSAC when you have them, and do not wait until you have a formal report done.

  Patrik Fältström, SSAC Chair:Then I am leaving the call. Thanks!

  Nathaniel Edwards:Thank you, Patrik

  Dietmar Lenden - Valideus:thank you Patrick

  Terri Agnew:New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations will take place on Thursday, 08 June 2017 at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Julie Hedlund:@Cheryl: We'll add SAC095 on Emoji to the reading list and SAC094 on CC2.

  Rubens Kuhl:Not from me.

  Rubens Kuhl:Bye all, thanks for coming!

  avri doria:bye