[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Latest Version of Compromise Closed Generic Text

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sun Jul 12 13:09:49 UTC 2020

Sneak preview of my solution for this WG (comes at the end of my message):

I suggest that we state in our report that:

•             This WG is bound to the 2007 policy advice

•             The issue of closed generics wasn’t regulated in the 2007 policy advice

•             As a result it wasn’t regulated in the 2012 AGB

•             This WG couldn’t agree to any solution as to how closed generics could be introduced – or banned.

•             There is no fall back solution for this WG: as the issue was neither regulated in the 2007 policy advice nor the 2012 AGB

•             Therefore we can’t make any assertions about the topic at all other than that we are waiting for new policy advice as requested by the board

Dear Rubens,

I hear you. But as Jeff so eloquently stated in his message shortly after yours:

The issue we have, as you probably are aware by now, is that opponents of closed generics do not believe that there is any way at all that closed generics could serve a public interest goal and therefore have been immovable on any tests or criteria that have been proposed to measure public interest.  On the other hand, there are proponents of closed generics that are trying to suggest mechanisms which many have found to be extremely broad.

So long as opponents of closed generics believe the status quo to be that there is a “ban” on closed generics, there has been little to no incentive for them to develop a compromise position.  Alternatively, those that cite the fact that the AGB had no prohibition on closed generics, believe that the status quo from a policy perspective is that there is no such prohibition.

Therein lies the dilemma that we have and why we must insist that the language in this section of the report be objective and not lean in either direction.

As suggested in my yesterday’s message:
The dilemma we are facing is rooted in “Neuman Rule” of this forum (the 2012-AGB-revison): As long as we do not find any agreement – we “fall back” to the status quo (the 2012-AGB). But (as described by Kathy and George Sadowsky – among many others) there is no status quo regarding closed generics until  such time when the gNSO has developed new policy advice. But we do not develop policy advice here in this forum. This forum is simply the wrong place to handle the issue. We aren’t mandated to leave the 2007 Policy Advice picket fence.

In fact this forum can’t even decide (or order the gNSO) to start the formal PDP on “closed generics”. We aren’t mandated. It was the board that instructed the gNSO. We shouldn’t inject ourselves in something that is outside of our scope. All we can do is stating that we have not found any workable solution to the treatment of “closed generics” within the 2007 policy advice. That’s already the end of what we can do.

The gNSO has now to exercise what the board instructed them (5 long years ago) to do: create policy advice regarding closed generics – and on basis of that advice we can implement rules into the AGB.

Rubens: Yes. in 2007 we couldn’t find a solution. So what? Now we have to find one. The great benefit of a gNSO PDP that results in policy advice is that we aren’t bound at all anymore to the 2007 policy advice. There are no fallback position. We will be forced to come up with advice – in whatever way, shape or form. What are we scared about?

But this forum here (2012-AGB-revision) has to let go of the issue: we are not mandated to create policy advice. We spent too much energy on this topic. This forum (as nicely described by Jeff) suffers from the dilemma of “solution denial” being awarded with “fallback to the status quo”. A formal PDP resulting in policy advice doesn’t face such dilemma: there won’t be any fallback position – no status quo.

So I suggest that we state in our report that:

*         This WG is bound to the 2007 policy advice

*         The issue of closed generics wasn’t regulated in the 2007 policy advice

*         As a result it wasn’t regulated in the 2012 AGB

*         This WG couldn’t agree to any solution as to how closed generics could be introduced – or banned.

*         There is no fall back solution for this WG: as the issue was neither regulated in the 2007 policy advice nor the 2012 AGB

*         Therefore we can’t make any assertions about the topic at all other than that we are waiting for new policy advice as requested by the board

We can’t allow or deny closed generics. In fact we can’t say anything about them. Not our mandate. We can only say that we are waiting for policy advice by the gNSO as directed by the board in 2015.

All of the above is of course my own opinion – but if is misrepresented something: please let me know.

Thanks,

Alexander