[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Revisions to sections on GAC Advice -- PLEASE DO NOT GAG THE GAC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Fri May 1 13:26:25 UTC 2020

Dear group,

Because not everybody here is necessarily “fluent” in regards to the topic we are talking about, here an ICANN link to GAC advice: newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/gac-advice

The way we are building “consensus” in this group here seems to be (I over-simplify): if there is no opposition but some support then we have consensus. So if folks do not understand the implications of the proposed suggestion, they won’t have objections: which implies consensus. So in my mind and  in all fairness, folks should be able to gauge what the real life impact of the suggested policy would be.

For example in the last round GAC advised to not allow “generic string based” closed gTLDs to move forward. As a result the applicants had to choose between terminating the application or revert to open registries. Nobody really assumed that kind of “predatory behavior” (my personal view and choice of words) by industry leaders. The issue of closed generics was being discussed during the policy development that lead to the 2012 AGB – but in my mind lobbyists successfully avoided clear guidance in the AGB. In the end GAC had to step up – when in reality this should have been clarified by the GNSO and before the finalization of the AGB. So in this respect we might simply listen to GAC already now – instead having to wait for them stepping in after the applications have been submitted.

If any such situation (e.g. abuse of closed generics) would occur again – then the currently suggested policy would essentially gag GAC, or rather gag the Board to fix it.

In that respect I would like to voice objection to such language. We know what GAC has advised – and we chose to ignore it:

*         “Protect geo names” (we did not: no additional protections have been implemented)

*         “Do not allow generic industry keyword term based closed new gTLDs” (at least in the last round, and the circumstances that lead to such advise haven’t changed at all in my mind)

The failure is not with GAC – the failure is us not factoring in their advice. Actually: we tried, but in my mind a certain grouping here made sure that consensus was denied. Time after time again.

My take: Either we factor GAC’s advise in (we seemingly try to avoid that) – or we live with the possibility that GAC will issue similar advise yet again. It’s just an “advise” – not a death penalty. Please do not gag the GAC by restraining the board. It’s about as helpful as welding shut the security valve of a pressure cooker. With so many who seem to heartedly oppose the GAC I think it’s just fair if there is also a voice that supports GAC – and is thankful for their guidance.

Thank you GAC for preventing the worst. Sorry that we ignored all your advice. And no way that your voice will be silenced: directly or indirectly.

Thanks,

Alexander