[GNSO-PDP3Dot0-DT] Improvement #17 Discussion Paper & Examples

Maxim Alzoba m.alzoba at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:35:46 UTC 2019

Hello Berry,

Thanks for quite interesting statistics
 (PDP Timeline might have a label of what is we measure for further clarity).

I think that to address how we might reflect the community resources (issue of the volunteer burnout)
we need to have a breakdown by constituencies members for PDPs and other efforts
(and looking at the moment in time and number of participants of then current members we might see the load
[in each constituency there are not so many active members who participate in GNSO activities, and if we see that the current/predicted load is higher than the average was -  it might be a sign of the current/incoming lack of capacity ]).

Sometimes sum of days in not what kills, the number of meetings and hours on an avg. day is (example - some PDPs used to have biweekly schedule,
but due to being synced with other PDPs via ICANN meetings rule of 'no meetings in a week after the ICANN meeting), those weeks (sometimes even , sometimes odd) were hard. Having 3 calls on a particular day for the persons not fully devoted to the policy work is not what all members of community
are able to do (obligations on a daily work, home e.t.c).

Also members have to do some kind of reading or worse, writhing (the latter consumes more time) 'homework', which also tends to group at those weeks due to ongoing e-mail discussions [if you write something right after the meeting, there is a high chance that the item is going to be discussed till the next meeting, especially for somehow controversial items]).

P.s: I wonder if it counts if I was on CWG‐UCTN(I thought it is not active), RDS, SSC and currently on SubPro, RPM and Council as 4 (or do we see people with numbers only for the current efforts :) ?

P.P.s: I see more and more situations where people instead of saying, that they will not be able to participate in a particular community
 (not necessary GNSO wide) activity after a certain day -
the situation, where someone says 'I am not able to continue, effective now',
and to me it is a sign that the community is overloaded (none is able to replace the leaving person on a constant or  temporary basis e.t.c. ).

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,