[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Mandatory Reveal in Context of Allegations that a Domain Name is Infringing Trademark

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Wed Oct 29 08:52:31 UTC 2014

All, in relation to this discussion, it may be worth pointing out that the
current status quo, which will be further codified as a result of the
locking of a domain name subject to UDRP Proceedings Policy Development
Process, is that the P/P service will publish the underlying customer
information in Whois within two days of the UDDR being filed, unless the P/P
service has no objection to being listed in the complaint/ruling as the
registrant. If I understand the current proposal under consideration
correctly, the idea is that an intermediate step could be introduced which
may provide potential benefits to both parties as it would provide the
requestor with additional information that may be helpful in deciding
whether a UDRP/URS or alternative approach would be best suited to address
the issue while the P/P customer information would only be disclosed to the
requestor instead of published in Whois (and presumably it would also offer
another path for remediation to the P/P customer instead of having to go
directly to a UDRP which might require hiring of a lawyer?). Obviously there
are other issues that need to be considered in relation to such a possible
intermediate step such as how to avoid misuse, but I thought it might be
helpful to consider this in light of the status quo.

Best regards,

Marika