[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Questions for P/P providers from the WG call earlier today

Keith Kupferschmid keithk at SIIA.net
Tue Sep 23 13:12:41 UTC 2014

Thanks, Graeme.  Your responses below and previously have been helpful.  As you point out below, I can appreciate the challenges of bringing the service provider community together to try and fashion more uniform standards while also respecting the need for discretion amongst individual service providers.  Unfortunately, we have little hope of successfully addressing these challenges if we are unable to get the group to timely share information that sheds light on these challenges.  Thus, I am hopeful others service provider representatives of P/P Services who yet to respond to the questions can do so, so that we can to move forward.

Keith

From: Graeme Bunton [mailto:gbunton at tucows.com]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 4:50 PM
To: Keith Kupferschmid; PPSAI WG
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Questions for P/P providers from the WG call earlier today

Hi Keith,

We've seen descriptions of their processes from GoDaddy, Tucows and Endurance.

What I think should be inferred though from our discussions and from those descriptions is that there are no established standards for disclosure because they are exceedingly difficult to craft.  In many respects, standards would make the jobs of our compliance teams significantly easier. However, in our years of doing business we have never come to a place where we've found a set of rules that we can apply to the variety of requests that we get.

This working group is attempting to codify rules (in a relatively short time frame) that service providers haven't been able to achieve individually.  This isn't to say we shouldn't try, but it's clearly not easy.  There are few black and white cases, and unending reams of gray requests, which is why we've heard so much about providers protecting their ability to exercise discretion.

As for the below questions:

1. I think I answered this previously in my description of our service.
2. is an idea we had previously considered, 'self-requested take-down' might be something we offer pending the outcome of this WG
3. We do not have one for private 3rd parties. Excluding LEA and UDRP

4. & 5.  Answers to these require the provider to be using some sort of ticketing/request system that allows tagging/categorization and reporting based on outcomes.   Many may not be big enough to have this sort of system in place, or have systems that don't offer these features.   This is probably exceedingly difficult information to capture.

Graeme
Graeme Bunton
Manager, Management Information Systems
Manager, Public Policy