[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Compilation of P/P provider responses

Williams, Todd Todd.Williams at turner.com
Mon Sep 29 20:23:12 UTC 2014

Thanks Mary.  One thought for the group to consider (happy to discuss in more detail on the call):

Reviewing the attached, it seems as if there are basically two alternatives for us to debate when it comes to disclosure in the context of cybersquatting and UDRPs (setting aside for now that there are many abuses other than cybersquatting where disclosure may be relevant):

1)      One alternative is for the p/p provider to simply funnel those kinds of complaints into a UDRP.  This approach basically skips "disclosure" and goes straight to "publication" - the attached points out that most providers will publish all contact information to the world once a UDRP is filed.

2)      The other alternative would require disclosure to the complainant under certain enumerated circumstances where the complainant provides enough information to meet certain prima facie elements (and makes certain averments under penalty of perjury).

Based on the attached, it seems that Option (1) is currently the more common approach.  But going forward, isn't Option (2) much better for the consumers/beneficial users who purchase p/p services?  As Kathy and others have rightly mentioned, publication (to the world) is a more extreme deviation from the beneficial user's privacy expectations than is disclosure (to a single complainant).  So why would we adopt an accreditation regime that skews the process toward the more drastic result?

One other thought on this: in many cases disclosure may obviate the need to file a UDRP at all.  Maybe the complainant can contact the beneficial user to negotiate a resolution.  Or maybe learning the beneficial user's identity will cause the complainant to question its original analysis that the domain name was being used in bad faith.  Whatever the reason, I would assume that avoiding a UDRP is almost always going to be the better option for ALL parties involved:

*         The complainant gets to save the money that it would otherwise spend on a UDRP.

*         The beneficial user gets to avoid the more drastic result of publication to the world.

*         The p/p provider gets to avoid being named as a respondent in a UDRP proceeding (which James noted on our call can be problematic), and may get to keep a paying customer that it would otherwise lose once the UDRP is filed and the contact information is published to the world.

So if everybody is better off under Option (2) than Option (1), what I am missing?  What is the argument for Option (1)?  And why is it the more common approach used today (at least, according to the responses compiled in the attached)?

Thanks.

Todd.