[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] MP3 PPSAI WG - Tuesday 01 December 2015 at 14:30 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Dec 1 21:45:49 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working group call held on Tuesday 01 December 2015 at 14:30 UTC at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-01dec15-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03Zqpst0e-2BAhXKoN2NRgTrap-2B8It1Hdq62dge7j3mqmBQ0BunA-3D-3D_nEX-2FaOijqgcJlSz5SkmueJu3tRbmaDiuX89gT35tStEeSHP9whdoceObpMxYsFLQddiMZpQjIv8dk6BsBGSJXH7VWN4SGLCJgbGKCk6E-2FTErjF4OKNQt65Dk9NF54IJ9kQpmDNySj7bbNz9G4dXi5BgbCZotTx8KNfyeB0z00f8KsMfETeTNKd7vy2kKI7tttQUIwid4NAhxXgT3nZYwmsLCxXsZWINxaEplcLRoeqDD-2FN1g8PAa5dy5vCZgRhUxb4ahdlAhT9qtDIFpSs-2B5VHs4idZ0o3SmWY6IRWI9RWLmFPdR1DYKyj6ABXLsUpwfYzOYbuoC1JqOht0TclKBPYZ6n82d2a3ytb3if3fgWpmhEvprgojwHrCKA6ymzv70ktDKZ-2B9UYNGKc5586h5ycJ4xyJ5AvJtDANMNhma4-2FB-2B5mmypItpnX4jDnVPv5OqEXS2Jw4HL9YdLT5-2FQh66miFOj-2FHbJoLVtBLRo4RiP6jlK1Nho-2FIkdHPvm4CMlT-2Btz>
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Attendees:
Alex Deacon - IPC
Brian Cimbolic - RySG
Bruce McDonald - IPC
Carlton Samuels - At-Large
Chris Pelling - RrSG
Darcy Southwell - RrSG
Don Blumenthal - RySG
Frank Michlick - Individual
Graeme Bunton - RrSG
Griffin Barnett- IPC
Holly Raiche - ALAC
James Bladel - RrSG
Jim Bikoff (Sean Phelan)- IPC
Kathy Kleiman - NCSG
Lindsay Hamilton-Reid- RrSG
Luc Seufer - RrSG
Michele Neylon - RrSG
Osvaldo Novoa - ISPCP
Paul McGrady - IPC
Phil Corwin - BC
Roger Carney-RrSG
Sara Bockey - RrSG
Stephanie Perrin - NCSG
Steve Metalitz - IPC
Susan Kawaguchi - BC
Todd Williams - IPC
Theo Geurts - RrSG
Vicky Sheckler - IPC
Volker Greimann- RrSG

Apologies:
Sarah Wyld - RrSG

ICANN staff:
Amy Bivins
Marika Konings
Mike Zupke
Mary Wong
Terri Agnew

Mailing list archives:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg/

Wiki page:
https://community.icann.org/x/9iCfAg

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew

-------------------------------
Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 01 December 2015

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the PPSAI WG call on Tuesday 01 December 2015

  Chris Pelling:Afternoon all

  Theo Geurts:Afternoon folks

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all

  Brian Cimbolic:Hello everyone

  Bladel:Hope springs eternal. :)

  Terri Agnew:Philip Corwin is on audio

  Mary Wong:Document is unsynced and is the redline version

  Mary Wong:Page 97

  Chris Pelling:bad colors for me, so cannot read it

  Terri Agnew:Kathy Kleiman has joined

  Mary Wong:@Chris, sorry about that

  Terri Agnew:Griffin Barnett has joined

  Mary Wong:This is the language that "binds" the requester in the framework: "7)          Where the signatory is not the rights holder, he/she must attest that he/she is an authorized representative of the rights holder, capable and qualified to evaluate and address the matters involved in this request, and having the authority to make the representations and claims on behalf of the rights holder in the request, including the authority to bind the rights holder to the limitations on the use of Customer data once disclosed."

  Mary Wong:Page 8 of the redline

  Chris Pelling: Hey Mary - Do not worry about the colors :) :)  I can listen :p

  steve metalitz:@Jamesare you proposing entirely new language for the report here?

  Terri Agnew:Susan Kawaguchi has joined audio

  Mary Wong:Would defining "knowingly" create issues with the same word used elsewhere e.g. in the RAA?

  Bladel:Mary - where is it used in the RAA?

  Holly Raiche:Normally, definitions only apply to the document in which the definition is made

  Mary Wong:I think it's used in referring to Resellers and PP registrations?

  Bladel:Agree with Vicky - a footnote citing "actual knowledge" is acceptable.

  Kathy:Vicky - what sentences?

  Brian Cimbolic:+1.  Also think "knowingly" does not imply "should have known" but can see how clarity might help

  Terri Agnew:Carlton Samuels has joined

  Carlton Samuels:Morning all, my apologies for late access. Teaching duties

  Carlton Samuels:Good Morning Terri

  Kathy:Isn't this Paul's language?

  Terri Agnew:Volker Greimann has joined

  Mary Wong:Wouldn't this create possible issues with 3.7.7 of the RAA about who is the RNH and tehrefore the registrant of record?

  Kathy:we can get some time to review the new/revised language?

  Terri Agnew:Michele Neylon has joined

  Bladel:I believe the defined term is "Registered Name Holder"

  Mary Wong:This is what 3.7.7 says: "3 Any Registered Name Holder that intends to license use of a domain name to a third party is nonetheless the Registered Name Holder of record "

  Carlton Samuels:What would 'registrant of record' be other than the registrant in fact? We have already adopted the meaning of registrant, no?

  Mary Wong:Steve's suggestion would address the staff concern expressed here.

  Vicky Sheckler:based on what james is saying, it seems beter to drop the last 2 sentences

  Mary Wong:In the sense that if our recs here create possible uninteded legal consequences with/for the RAA and its interpretation/application.

  Todd Williams:@James: why are those two mutually exclusive?

  Carlton Samuels:Good question: 1) to declare that person scofflaw under PPSAI rules. 2. Accept the registration as that per 3.7.7.

  Bladel:Fair enough. But then note that the Registrar would have obligations to take action upon reports from ICANN or 3rd parties.

  Carlton Samuels:The registrar is not then under obligation until they know.

  Holly Raiche:Wasn't this to do with lawyers who are acting as agents - and if hey are not accredited, then they are the responsible party

  Carlton Samuels:@Holly: Yes, that was my understanding.

 Carlton Samuels:@Kathy: +1, that was what I understand as intent!

  Mary Wong:RAA 3.7.7.3 goes on to say "A Registered Name Holder licensing use of a Registered Name according to this provision shall accept liability for harm caused by wrongful use of the Registered Name"

  Carlton Samuels:@Mary: Yes, also my understanding. It is about accepting responsibility, NOT to drop or otherwise disturb the registration.

  Terri Agnew:Luc Seufer has joined

  Carlton Samuels:@James: On dropping the first sentence about 'knowingly', inter alia: Um, well, I could live with that

  Mary Wong:Page 18, Graeme, of the redline

  Bladel:@Carlton :  Trying to udnerstand what we gain by the first sentence.  I think we've uncovered some signifiant unintended consequences for both providers, registrars and law firms by leaving this in.

  Mary Wong:"Principle 1: A P/P service customer should be notified in advance of de-accreditation of a P/P service provider. The WG notes that the current practice for registrar de-accreditation involves the sending of several breach notices by ICANN Compliance prior to the final step of terminating a registrar's accreditation. While P/P service provider de-accreditation may not work identically to that for registrars, the WG recommends that ICANN explore practicable ways in which customers may be notified during the breach notice process (or its equivalent). In particular, the WG notes that, in view of the legitimate need to protect many customers' privacy, the mere publication of a breach notice on the ICANN website (as is now done for registrar de-accreditation) may not be sufficient.."

  Mary Wong:Darcy's note was about the timing of the notice - we say "during the process or its equivalent."

  steve metalitz:@Kathy, agree Darcy's proposal stated 30 days and there was general support for it on list.

  Darcy Southwell:The proposed language was also about the timing - after termination and not during breach....

  Kathy:"Principle 1: *** the WG recommends that ICANN explore practicable ways in which customers may be notified  once ICANN issues a termination of accreditation notice but before the de-accreditation becomes effective.  The WG recommends that de-accreditation become effective 30 days after notice of termination."

  Kathy:Darcy's language

  Michele Neylon:So similar to "suspension" .. ?

  steve metalitz:Modify Darcy's language as follows:  *** the WG recommends that ICANN explore practicable ways in which customers may be notified during the breach notice process (or its equivalent) once ICANN issues a termination of accreditation notice but before the de-accreditation becomes effective.  The WG recommends that de-accreditation become effective  FOR EISTING CUSTOMERS 30 days after notice of termination."

  L Seufer:suspension doesn't make much sense IMO. Giving a delay  to transfer after the termination notice has been served makes more sense

  steve metalitz:existing CUSTOMERS

  Kathy:freezing new registration is fine

  L Seufer:@Kathy not before the actually termination has been decided, right?

  Darcy Southwell:Agree with adding the language about existing customers.

  Vicky Sheckler:agree w/ mike - difference btn wind-down transition and a p/p continuing to take on new customers

  Kathy:+1 Steve's language

  Mary Wong:The point is to notify customers before the effective date of termiination - can we just put something like that in ie Steve's languge w/o the 30 day note?

  Kathy:30 days is in RAA - would like to keep it here

  Luc Seufer:I agree with Steve language too

  steve metalitz:@Mary, this is an implementation recommendaition.  Is it more acceptable if labeled as such? ,

  Bladel:anyone else having difficulty hearing Mary?

  Mary Wong:Sorry

  Carlton Samuels:+1 to Steve's

  Terri Agnew:Stephanie Perrin has joined

  Mary Wong:Please see comment in chat above

  Mary Wong:Suggesting we add specific language to say notify customers before termination becomes effective, but not specify 30 days

  Darcy Southwell:The 30 days is only a recommendation ....

  Holly Raiche:Agree with Steve

  Mary Wong:Got it, Steve - thanks

  Darcy Southwell:Agree wtih Steve's point - the implementation team find reasons to do something different.

  Mary Wong:Page 10

  Carlton Samuels:@James: The RDAP protocol can accommodate this

  Bladel:@Carlton - Great, so this will be fixed in 10-12 years.

  Bladel::)

  Carlton Samuels:@James: :-)

  Holly Raiche:@ Carlton - fine if RDAP is adopted

  Bladel:WHOIS or its successor

  Bladel:RDDS

  Luc Seufer:and only if registrar has knowledge about it. It's not because it's feasible that it will be, registrar needs to be aware of it.

  steve metalitz:@Don, possibly a footnote thatreferences to Whois also capture succeesor registration data services to extgent possible.

  Chris Pelling:WHOIS <> RDDS

  Carlton Samuels:It would solve the long involved - and expensive - process they now go thru to get 'get ot of jail' cards from violating national laws.

  Michele Neylon:Carlton - that's a different topic I think?

  Luc Seufer:fair enough

  Mary Wong:Yes

  Carlton Samuels:@Michele: Different topic, yes. Same tool for response for sure.

  Luc Seufer:then just don't mention TEAC but abuse point of contact

  Kathy:similar?

  volker greimann:teac has no similarity

  Luc Seufer:Volker's follow up was very clear

  Mary Wong:@Steve, exactly

  volker greimann:abuse contact would be the better simile

  Luc Seufer:then keep capable and auhtorised and remove TEAC

  Mary Wong:The TEAC ref was in the Initial Report - at the time the WG wanted a point of reference - for the standard, not the process.

  Chris Pelling:breaking up

  steve metalitz:Sorry cut off again will dial bakc in

  Terri Agnew:Steve has disconnected from audio

  Mary Wong:The wording is "capable and authorized ... a standard similar to the TEAC", per Steve's comment earlier.

  Luc Seufer:sorry reading a document multiple times and you don't notice things at one point.

  volker greimann:mary, please remove teac

  Mary Wong:We say "designated point of contact"

  volker greimann:teac is to defined to every minute detail to be applicable here

  Terri Agnew:Steve is back on audio

  Darcy Southwell:TEAC is a very specific contact and should not be used here

  volker greimann:otoh, teac contact details are only available to other registrars. so if we model this contact on teac, it would only be available to p/p providers? i like this after all

  Bladel:That's fine.

  Mary Wong:The intent was not to import the TEAC process - so if the WG wants to keep it as capable and authorized it wouldn't change the intent.

  Mary Wong:Dropping the refe to TEAC, I mean

  Bladel:page?

  Mary Wong:Page 15 (bottom)

  Mary Wong:Of the redline

  Mary Wong:Oops sorry, top of 16

  Luc Seufer:"to perform the verification or cause to perform"

  Mary Wong:We already cross refer to the actual verification/validation rec we make elsewhere - I believe Steve suggested additionally that we also say "Rec #5 above".

  Luc Seufer:exactly Steve

  Darcy Southwell:Agree

  Luc Seufer:agreed

  Mary Wong:Got it

  Luc Seufer:if you don't try... ;-)

  Mary Wong:@Holly, I got yours in notes

  Mary Wong:So yes

  Bladel:But noteworthy, in that high fees would be prohibitive for accreditation, and more P/P services would remain unaccredited.

  Stephanie Perrin:or alternatively, access to P/P services might become more difficult

  Bladel:Good catches, Holly.

  Stephanie Perrin:Nothing we recommend should be construed as a green light to increasing the price of P/P services

  Kathy:+1 Stephanie

 Kathy:Would be good to have a note on this.

  Carlton Samuels:@Holly:+1

  Carlton Samuels:@Stepanie: +1

  Stephanie Perrin:@Holly +1, very sensible suggestions.

  Holly Raiche:@ Stephanie  +1

  Amy Bivins:The Transfer Policy defines a change as the following: 1.1.3 "Material Change" means a non-typographical correction. The following will be considered material changes:1.1.3.1 A change to the Registered Name Holder's name or organization that does not appear to be merely a typographical correction;1.1.3.2 Any change to the Registered Name Holder's name or organization that is accompanied by a change of address or phone number;1.1.3.3 Any change to the Registered Name Holder's email address.

  Mary Wong:In other words, any typographical change = Material Change.

  Mary Wong:Though presumably a registrar can of course in the first instance determine if a change is or is not typographical in nature.

  Mary Wong:But once it's determined to be a non-typographical change then it would be considered a Material Change triggering the lock.

  Mike Zupke:I got bumped off the call, so apologies I can't respond by voice

  Mike Zupke:But to be clear, the IRTP C implementation is done

  Stephanie Perrin:I can see why James wants to move this discussion to the transfer policy area, but this seems like a fundamental issue for the customer.  Needs to be at least referenced.

  Kathy:Happy to take James up on his offer - and we'll report back to the WG

  Mike Zupke:This was the end of the discussion of where we ended up on the PP service being considered a material change: http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-impl-irtpc-rt/msg00189.html

  Bladel:So a single (semi-retired) partipcant's opinion was taken by Staff to overrule all industry voices on this point?

  Mike Zupke:There was also a call in which that was discussed @James

  Kathy:Seeking quick confirmation that agreement is a personal agreement of participants in the WG, not an official statement of the SGs. Is that right?

  Vicky Sheckler:going back to the paragraph on p 8 discussed near the beginning of the call, upon consideration, the first sentense should be kept (w/ the footnot on actual knowledge) and delete the 3rd sentence.

  Stephanie Perrin:Sorry, this is important and needs to be discussed here so we can understand the implications.

  Vicky Sheckler:sorry my typing is so awful

  Mary Wong:yes WG members participate as individuals

  Bladel:@Mike - there were numerous calls where that was discussed.

  Stephanie Perrin:My comment is with reference to the material change issue,

  Kathy:Tx Mary

  Stephanie Perrin:I would like an opportunity to re-read the document with all the changes in, notably Holly's recommendations on consistency of terminology.  ONe never knows what one might see after the document is cleaned up.

  Holly Raiche:Then we still have an issue bout lawyers?   Need to think this through?

  Michele Neylon:I need to drop - bye all

  Kathy:Steve - could you please post that proposal to the list after the call. I think I am following it, but it would be good to see it in writing... tx!

  Philip Corwin:I must depart for a BC call starting in 4 minutes

  Holly Raiche:@ Kathy - we need to work through the lawyers issue once we see what the changes are

  Kathy:@Holly - agreed

  Lindsay Hamilton-Reid:I have another meeting, bye!

  Mary Wong:We will do our best - we are at meetings in LA but will try to get things to you all as requested ASAP today.

  Stephanie Perrin:Holly's points?

  Bladel:Thanks, Mary.  I'm headed to airport in 2 hours, but ping me if I can hlep.

  Mary Wong:Yes, noted

  Stephanie Perrin:yes thanks

  Mary Wong:Thanks James

  Holly Raiche:@ Stepphanie - My editorials were in an earlier issue - now, my issues are implications for lawyers of changes discussed today