[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Accredited proxy providers vs unaccredited proxy providers

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Nov 16 22:12:05 UTC 2015

Hi James,
I am all in favor of the carrot -- "An accredited PP Service Provider,
in good standing with ICANN and acting in accordance with the PPSAI
framework shall not be held responsible for the actions of their
customers."  But the flipside is not an equal and opposite part of the
equation. The fact is that in developing Internet community, and in
families coming online for the first time, it is often one
individual/one small business that registers the domain names for a few
others. They are the "training wheels" of the system and bring others
online with them.  Often the domain name use itself clearly identifies
its accurate use -- a Girl Scout troop, a club, an organization.

It is not unregulated space to say that the individual registrants are
not responsible for every use of the domain name and website - there are
groups and families and customers sharing these responsibilities. That
does not make the registrant  proxy/privacy services providers either -
that's not their business - and a "strict liability" standard is not
fair. I may own my car, but if my son takes it out and gets into an
accident, I get to argue that he was driving and not me.

Similarly with a domain name, the UDRP and other panels and courts want
to know who is really using the domain name - not just in whose name it
is registered. P/P accreditation is a registration issue; liability is
largely a content one. I would much rather regulate lawyer and others
who are actually offering unofficial p/p providers than wade into these
waters of content and use for individual and small businesses and
organizations...

Best,
Kathy