[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS PDP WG Leadership

dmb at donblumenthal.com dmb at donblumenthal.com
Thu Jan 28 01:09:30 UTC 2016

OK, so my last post on the subject wasn’t my final one. 😊

I agree with Steph. The problem is that listed affiliation has nothing to do with a person’s experience with ICANN and its processes.

To make the point, especially for folks who don’t know my ICANN background and some familiar names from other endeavors:
I listed myself as an individual using Steph’s criteria, not employed and not a consultant for a GNSO related group. For my own reasons, I have chosen not to join the SG that does not require  commercial relationships as part of their interests (not a criticism. Just covering all the possibilities).  On the other hand, I currently or have been
Chair (co-chair when I had to step back) of the Proxy/Privacy Accreditation Services Issues PDP WG
Chair of the Privacy subgroup of the Thick Whois PDP WG
Member of a number of other ICANN WGs
Initially involved in domain name registration system issues in 1998 when with the US FTC
Member of the ICANN Security and Stability Committee

I can spot other names with significant ICANN experience in the Individuals list, including at least one whose leadership credentials arguably are stronger than mine.

Judging from interest expressed so far, the WP leadership will be from GNSO groups and I see nothing wrong with that. I do have a problem with what to me are arbitrary restrictions on who can serve.

Don