[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 19 02:21:19 UTC 2016

I think Holly has summarized this issue well.  I would add that the
problem with running through "requirements" first before agreeing
purpose, is that the very act of discussing and refining requirements
before defining purpose adulterates the process of defining purpose.
One issue that we never really dealt with, in my view, on the EWG, was
the "value added services" that depend on harvesting robust WHOIS data
sets. I would hate to accept those practices and businesses, which in my
view likely violate data protection law, before we define purpose.
I would also add that data retention is part of the data life cycle, and
cannot be abandoned to some other PDP process, or the next RAA.
Registration data and the purpose of its collection, use, disclosure,
and retention, has to be examined in its entirety.
Stephanie Perrin