[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 21 19:13:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 09:55:48AM -0400, James Galvin wrote:
> If the starting point is that the purpose of registration data is to support
> the operation of a domain name on the Internet, then I’m supportive of your
> list and the explanations.
>
> However, I do not believe this is the cornerstone purpose of registration
> data.

That would be bizarre.  These are domain names in the Internet's DNS.
If the purpose is not to support their operation on the Internet (or,
in a degenerate case, their non-operation on the Internet --
i.e. defensive registration), what business does ICANN have with them
at all?

> cornerstone purpose of registration data?  A corollary question then
> becomes, which additional purposes of registration data are to be
> collectively and officially declared to be the full purpose of registration
> data?

I'm certainly prepared to admit that the direct interoperation support
is not the only purpose, but I think it would be pressing the edges of
ICANN's mission (particularly the newly-clarified and one hopes
about-to-be-adopted one, which everyone in the CCWG-Accountability
seemed to agree was not actually changing the mission at all) to
develop policies outside the support of operation of the names on the
Internet.  I do not think "operation" needs to be construed too
narrowly, but we need to be in the ballpark.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com