[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Tue Mar 22 13:14:49 UTC 2016

On 21 Mar 2016, at 15:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 09:55:48AM -0400, James Galvin wrote:
>> If the starting point is that the purpose of registration data is to
>> support
>> the operation of a domain name on the Internet, then I’m supportive
>> of your
>> list and the explanations.
>>
>> However, I do not believe this is the cornerstone purpose of
>> registration
>> data.
>
> That would be bizarre.  These are domain names in the Internet's DNS.
> If the purpose is not to support their operation on the Internet (or,
> in a degenerate case, their non-operation on the Internet --
> i.e. defensive registration), what business does ICANN have with them
> at all?

It is only bizarre to your frame of reference.

While it is true that a good portion of the work that is conducted by
the ICANN community is around domain names that are “on the
Internet”, the fact is there is no requirement that a domain name be
operational in any way.

It is a fair question for this group to ask whether that is the
degenerative case or that is the baseline case.

The answer matters to answering the question, “what is the purpose of
registration data?”

The operational data you describe is not necessary for domain names that
are not operational.  The operation of a domain name could become one of
many use cases to be considered separately.

Today there is a tendency to require the operational data, even for
names that are not operational.  So we’ve setup circumstances where
registrants have to “lie” or at least mislead, in order to buy a
domain name that will not be operational.  This is similar to the desire
for “privacy” and yet we require public contact information, or the
desire to mitigate spam and yet we require the display of email
addresses.

My point is simply that this distinction matters.  Personally I don’t
have a strong opinion as to which way it goes, but it will affect how we
specify if and when operational data is collected or required.  And then
whether or not we have to talk about access to the data.

Jim