[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Why domain names are not like phone numbers (was Re: Some reg'n data I think necessary)

Richard Leaning rleaning at ripe.net
Tue Mar 22 19:12:33 UTC 2016

Thats normally the case - in the RIPE NCC region - they will only be in the database if they come to us direct for resources.  Otherwise its the responsibility of LIR/ISP to know who they give the IP address to.

But please remember that an end user, if we are talking further down the food chain ‘share' an IP address. Domains are owed by someone are they not?  -

Richard Leaning
External Relations
RIPE NCC