[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS Statement of Purpose

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Fri Sep 9 14:32:07 UTC 2016

On 9 Sep 2016, at 9:46, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> During this Pending Create period the registrant has no control over
> the domain name as it does not appear in the zone file, but does
> appear in publicly available Whois data.

I think this is the most important point in your comment Michael.

Your statement asserts that registrant “control” of a domain name is
dependent on whether or not the domain name appears in the zone file.

While you provide an excellent example in support of this in your
description of pendingCreate, I believe your assertion to tightly-couple
“control” with “zone presence” is inappropriate.

There are several statuses during which a domain name will not appear in
a zone file and a registrant still has primary “control” of a domain
name, e.g., pendingDelete, at which time a registrant could take action
to get a domain name restored.  I consider this “control” in this
case because no other registrant can acquire the domain name during this
period.

I would propose another way to think about pendingCreate as follows:

First, I am not going to speak to the question of access to data via
directory services at this time.  That is a separate discussion we are
not having yet.  This discussion is strictly about the purpose of
registration data.

In a pendingCreate situation where more than one registrant may have
asserted the create event, all of the aforementioned registrants share
the “control” of a domain name.  This “control” must be resolved
to a single registrant before the pendingCreate expires or the create
event itself expires and the domain name is returned to the “available
pool”, i.e., all registrants lose “control” of a domain name.

Jim