[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Registrar Data vs RDS Data

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Aug 29 14:12:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:55:25AM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:
> So many assumptions.

Indeed.

> There's no reason to burden users with making multi-step visits when a few
> lines of important information can be displayed at the same time.

I am quite confident in saying that this WG does not have the
expertise to design user interfaces for the consumption of this data.
For instance, at least some use cases do not have a human at the other
end at all: think of parsing output for anti-abuse uses, for instance.
(Indeed, one of the most important features the WEIRDS working group
considered was machine parsability, which is why RDAP uses the format
it does.)  So, the "user interface" is effectively an API, and the
rendering of the data is just irrelevant.

It seems to me that the view on which we are converging is this: if
someone is going to access any data in some way through an RDDS, then
it is necessary that the data in some way be "in" the RDS.  (For
whatever it's worth, that is probably a good enough ostensive
definition for "RDS" to clear up my confusion, though whether it will
help a reader of the eventual report we produce is not plain to me.)
Precisely how that data is to be displayed and under what conditions
is, I think, out of scope for this WG (and anyway IMO beyond our
collective competence).

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com