[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Tue Feb 14 02:14:58 UTC 2017

I have to strongly agree with Alex that whatever the criteria are for
thin data, they cannot include that thin data "is transitive" in some
sort of bread crumb trail manner.

Everything is potentially transitive in that sense. I observe a vehicle
but all I get is make, model and license plate, and in most
jurisdictions that is all I get. It is the vehicle owner's "thin data".
Of course I can hang around, see that the car has a baby seat, witness a
woman or man putting a child in the car, assume that she/he has
legitimate access to the car, follow the car and assemble more personal
information (lives at; works at; shops at; visits;) The license plate
didn't facilitate that crumb train discovery, but no license plate would
hamper legitimate seeking of information about who owns the car (issuing
a parking ticket, LEA investigation, etc.) . License plate is part of
thin data with no gated access. Of course, this will change in the era
of the digital vehicle. Depending on security, and authorization, one
will be able to just ask the car, and ask about a lot of things...like
whose cell phone was in the passenger's seat last night, when I was
supposed to be alone )-:

There needs to be a similar balance (license plate but no owner's name
unless wanted, like Sam's Curry Pizza Barn logo, phone number and
website URL painted on the side).

More Important, have we made progress (convergence) on the working
principles that should be brought to bear in building a thin data set. A
lot of time has been spent looking at good case and bad case scenarios.
What operational principles have been distilled from all these examples?
What is the balance between thin data inclusion and exclusion, and
design and technical solutions that can be used to prevent (for example)
robotic harvesting? There is another frontier here, and that is what
governments will do to restrain or enable certain uses of thin data?
While ICANN needs to be aware of what is going on there, that part is
beyond ICANN's remit, but those policies will help shape some of the
context within which ICANN deals with the thin data task.

Sam L