[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Deacon, Alex Alex_Deacon at mpaa.org
Tue Feb 14 01:23:06 UTC 2017

All,

So it seems the debate has progressed from “thin data” to “thick data” (i.e. data that includes email).  I know we are all super excited to talk about “thick data” but I don’t think we are there yet (are we?  Hopefully I didn’t miss the party…)

Focusing on thin data for the moment I struggle to understand how it is personal data.  I do not believe it is.    As for the odd logic proposed by some that the property of privacy is transitive (i.e. Because “thin data” can be used to link/point/discover other data then “thin data” equals “personal data”) I just don’t buy it.

I don’t disagree with much of what was expressed in this thread, however we must keep in mind that balance and proportionality are important concepts in many (all?) data privacy laws.   Any arguments that imply that no such balance exists (or should exist) is obstructive IMO.

Alex