[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Feb 20 15:14:23 UTC 2017

Chuck, Just a quick follow up. The "education" call here goes well
beyond ICANN's mission, its scope of remit, or our rds-pdp-wg charter.
It needs to be done somewhere beyond ICANN. But ICANN can flag that it
is something that needs to be done for good citizenship in the Internet
ecosystem.

Back to the car analogy, ICANN is designing the roads, access points,
the lanes, and the signage, but someone else has to educate domain name
owners and complainants about how to properly drive to their destinations.

Sam L.

On 2/20/2017 9:57 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Policies recommending education are possible as long as they are
> within ICANN’s mission and our charter so let’s keep that in mind when
> we get to Phase 2.  In the meantime, we might consider requirements
> for education.  There is probably no way to force education on users
> and registrants but it is probably reasonable to make educational
> materials easily available and encourage their usage.
>
> Chuck

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852