[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Feb 24 14:17:50 UTC 2017

Michele, et. al.

I may be way off base here but I am thinking about the complaints issue
from a researcher perspective.

Would there be any merit to simply having a link in, or at the bottom
of, the public (rds/whois) data that is a link to a site
(standard by registrar, by country, icann, or whatever) that has a
"howto guide" for going forward with a complaint?
If that existed it could be added to the "Contact Us", FAQ, and other
link sites.
Available at those points of inquiry it would probably redirect a lot of
traffic away from the registrar.

It might work at the ICANN level much as the following that turns up in
a whois search:

 >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:23:29 GMT <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/epp-status-codes-2014-06-16-en.
/Maybe => For complaint information please visit
https://www.icann.org/domain-name-complaints

/Sam L.

On 2/24/2017 8:46 AM, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:

> [...]
>                  >      > Regards
>                  >      >
>                  >      > Michele
>                  >      >
>                  >      >
>                  >      > --
>                  >      > Mr Michele Neylon
>                  >      > Blacknight Solutions
>                  >      > Hosting, Colocation & Domains
>                  >      > https://www.blacknight.com/
>                  >      > http://blacknight.blog/
>                  >      > Intl. +353 (0) 59 9183072
>             <tel:%2B353%20%280%29%2059%20%209183072>
>                  >      > Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
>             <tel:%2B353%20%280%2959%209183090>
>                  >      > Personal blog: https://michele.blog/
>                  >      > Some thoughts: https://ceo.hosting/
>                  >      > -------------------------------
>                  >      > Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd, Unit
>             12A,Barrowside Business Park,Sleaty
>                  >      > Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,R93 X265,Ireland
>             Company No.: 370845
>                  >      >
>                  >      > On 20/02/2017, 09:54,
>             "gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org
>             <mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
>             Volker Greimann" <gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org
>             <mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
>             vgreimann at key-systems.net
>             <mailto:vgreimann at key-systems.net>> wrote:
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      When you say web site, it should be
>             taken up with the web host not the
>                  >      >      registrar as the registrant is not
>             necessarily the correct content.
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      Problems with domain -> registrant
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      Problems with content -> Web host
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      Best,
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      Volker
>                  >      >
>                  >      >
>                  >      >      Am 17.02.2017 um 20:49 schrieb Mark
>             Svancarek via gnso-rds-pdp-wg:
>                  >      >      > Counter example
>                  >      >      > "Joe" has a  web site which is used
>             to abuse my trademark.  I can't contact Joe because his
>             thin data is incorrect or hidden (I don't know that Joe is
>             actually Joe.).  I then contact the registrar.  They
>             follow up with the privacy proxy service if needed.
>             Hopefully all this happens quickly and the cease and
>             desist message is actually delivered.
>                  >      >      >
>                  >      >      > In actual practice, there is a
>             noteworthy difference in effectiveness if we have to go
>             through the registrar, compared to us contacting
>             directly.  If the registrar isn't responsive, then I may
>             have to pressure ICANN to enforce the registrar contract,
>             which has its own issues.
>                  >      >      >
>                  >      >      > In either case, your abuse of my
>             trademark is probably a civil issue, so starting with law
>             enforcement isn't a great option, even if they had the
>             inclination and bandwidth to help out in a timely fashion.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852